185g butter, softened
¾ cup (155g) firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 eggs
1¼ cups (190g) self-raising flour
2 tablespoons (30g) cocoa powder
½ cup (125ml) milk
Chocolate frosting
¾ cup (125g) icing sugar mixture
1½ tablespoons cocoa powder
50g butter, softened
1 tablespoon warm milk
Preheat oven to moderate (180°C/160°:C fan-forced). Grease and line a 22cm round cake pan.
Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in sifted flour, cocoa and milk, in two batches.
Spread mixture into prepared pan; bake about 45 minutes. Stand cake 5 minutes; turn top-side up onto wire rack to cool. Spread cooled cake with chocolate frosting.
Chocolate frosting: Sift icing sugar and cocoa into a medium bowl; add butter and milk, beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
As the name suggests this really is 'someone's momma's prized recipe! So you can bet your sweet buns that it's delicious. Decided to bake this for tea this afternoon. The pic, above, is how it turned out. It's not too large a cake so it's good for serving 5-6 at one sitting. The frosting makes all the difference too.






2 comments:
LOVEEE the looks of the cake. IF ONLY I were to stay next door to you...sigh! Anyway, I've got a picture of THE perfect kitchen posted on my blog today. ENJOY!!!
Thanks AFD-the cake turned out great; it's one of those lighter versions. I replaced some of the butter with shortening.(in case you attempt!) My brood sometimes prefers the denser varieties! You know, the 'mud cake' kind. I've stopped by yr blog and viewed that perfect kitchen of yours-absolutely lovely!! Wish I could paint & draw...*sigh*
Post a Comment