Here are a few pics from about the time we just moved there, 1968-1969!
L-R, Evelyn, Bertie, Terry & Arthur. Where was I? Shell picking?Sometimes on a 'good' day ( from experience, this would be in the mornings) when you decided that you just needed to breathe that salty sea breeze to clear your head or whatever, you discover with pure delight that you've got the whole stretch of beach to yourself! Who could ask for more?! It took a mere 15-20 minute bicycle ride from our home to reach that little piece of haven. Bicycles were our main mode of transport in those days; and we really were sun-kissed and healthier! We were practically on the beach most evenings to watch the sun go down. Boy, there were some lovely sunsets.. But nothing, I tell you, nothing can beat the feeling of that sea breeze fiercely whipping against your face; hair flying in all directions, the salty smell of the sea gently assaulting your senses and that gritty sand tickling your bare feet. Sometimes, I just miss those good ole days, even if only in my mind...*sigh*
Tis pic is of me & my younger brother, Arthur. Next, Evelyn & friend, Monalisa.When my brothers were younger, they'd sometimes grudgingly let us ( the younger ones) tag along whenever they wanted to go for a swim. But it was a different story as they grew older and wanted to have their own privacy to do stuff with their own friends that we were not even allowed to know of, hehe. But by that time I guess we had our own circle of friends, so that didn't bother us to much.... But somehow we'd always get wind of what they were up to!! Everything spread like wild-fire in that small town anyways. No matter how insignificant; that bad, yeah. Latest juicy bit of gossip? Never you mind. Just stay at home; it'll find it's way to you! Guaranteed.
Ever so often, we'd head to the beach for picnics with friends and many a wonderful bonfire was had in our teen years! I can even recall what it was like lying in bed on stormy nights, listening to the seas roar! Growing up 'on' the beach had it's advantages. Many a hurt had been calmed by those crashing waves and many a joy carried straight to impressionable callow hearts by those whipping sea breezes.... Ahh, you know, teenage angst, first loves..the works!
Here are some pics from that period.Teenage years. These pics were taken by a very kindly fatherly gentleman, whom we used to call Pak Haji. He was a dresser (before they became known as HA's) in the local hospital and he and his family would often take us out to picnics on the weekends. His wife loved cooking and we enjoyed the spoils of her labour.. Pak Haji was such a dear that he captioned every little pic at the back in his own handwriting. These pics he dates 16th June, 1975 ( I must've been 14 years old here) and he has written down some funny anecdotes to 'capture the moment' so to speak, that it evokes such poignant feelings/memories of that time. God bless his dearly departed soul. They were some of the nicer people from my teenage years, (I just have to say this, not going to justify it) save for their eldest 18 year old son.. Jerk. Is the only word that comes to mind. AAAH & URGHH! The travails of growing up! Haha. ... Another time, another story.
I know it's Evelyn, somewhere under that book. Back-Me, Evelyn Fr-Mona, Zul,Joyce and 'undercover' was Ahmad.






7 comments:
Hahahahahaha, nice pics.
Its interesting to know that Evelyn actually knew Mona Lisa??? LOL, bet John and TOP will get a kick out of this.
Still having tots of a million buckaroos. Evelyn I'm still waiting to collect.
Java me sweets.
*Sigh* Now you have made me all so homesick for "the salty smell of sea", "gritty sand", "sea breeze"...
Raybans-These are not too bad-you haven't seen the skinny legs brigade yet, circa early '70's! That TOP will keel over with laughter... Hmmm, Evelyn will remember that sweet little girl, Mona Lisa and her family; even elder bro Jerko too, possibly! LOL. Met her some years ago, all married & all! The Mom & Dad too, before he passed on. Good folks.
AFD-I know, even here it's just too far off to think of heading to the beach everyday! Man, it was close for you too, in Lutong! Poor us, the one-time beachbabes have to nurse our beachsick hearts.*SOB SOB* I've actually got more beach pics but fear reprisal from certain quarters if I blogged them because there are close-ups in question(!)You know those crazy days of big sunglasses, wigs,(this, the guys OK!)etc.. *shudder shudder* LOL
Yes, I knew the live Monalisa ... not the one in the Louvre that I tried to photograph with the guards yelling at us, "No flash!" " No, flash!" Try asking them for the bathroom and you knew they spoke "No English".
Hey, Ray, the ticket was not a winning one ... the jackpot is up to US$33 million for the next drawing ... I think I'll buy one for Podge (the cat ... hehehe) this time.
My, my, my, I do remember those times ... didn't think anyone had those pictures! What wig pictures are you talking about? The "boys" acting silling ... post them!
Those were fun times ...
TOPM-Now, I think I just shall post those "boys acting silly" pics, for the fun of it!! You think they'll 'kill' me if they found out?? Hehehe. Remember our good ole jeep? Found a pic of that too! That's up next!! Wow those memories, of days gone by!
Your childhood reminiscence certainly brings back glorious memories of my childhood days too. Unlike your place, there are no beautiful beaches in Ipoh but it was exciting enough to just cycle into the unsploilt countryside and jungle pathways, mesmerised by the mysterious sounds of gurgling brooks or playing 'war' games with my cousins in the sand dunes of abandoned tin mines. Gosh! I wonder how we survived in those days, running wild without a care in the world and without adult supervision and emerged unscathed!These days, it is with much trepidation that I let my children leave the house. Too many maniacs on the loose.
Chica, how true! When we played, we really played didn't we, with wild abandon at that! Imagine throwing all cautions to the wind,like we did in those days! nowadays, we'd probably find perverts coming out of the shadows....sadly our children will never experience that "carefreeness" I remember too, going into the bushes, next to our house and playing hide & seek without any form of fear whatsoever. And cycling all over the place to friends' houses to play and only coming home in the evenings! So much so my grandama called me a "creeping kangkong"(actually in the local dialect!)...hehee; on account of me going all over the place to play. Truly, how we came out unscathed is a marvel! Do you think we were street smart? nah,different times, luv! We've always got to keep a lookout for those maniacs on the loose and make sure that built-in "jerkometer" that we mothers come equipped with is always in working order!
Post a Comment