Friday, November 24, 2006

Mocha Layer Cake




This cake has officially been christened "Clifford's Cake" in this house because this is the name of the chocoholic cousin whom I made it for a couple of months back. If you've ever had devil's food cake before, this is similar. Because of the coffee in both cakes, the flavour of the cake develops over a day o two. And devil's food cake has been the birthday cake of choice in this house throughout the years. This is not a very good shot of the cake though. Wrong angle. But my Joe was in such a hurry! And before I could take another shot, it was gone - finito. Anyways, it tastes great. Happy baking to Ray's colleague again. And Jasmine too, all the way there in Sussex,UK. And whoever else who loves to bake. Or if you're heading my way, let me know. I'll have one in the oven.... Seeing that now my blog's gone private, I know I'm not dealing with weirdoes. Just friends. Hopefully.


1 cup butter, softened
3 cups packed brown sugar
4 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup bakiing cocoa
3 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups brewed coffee, cooled
1 1/3 cups sour cream

Frosting ( see my notes at the bottom on this)
2 8oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
8oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/2 cup brewed coffee, cooled
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 cups icing sugar

In a large mixing bowl, crewam butter & brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with coffee and sour cream. Pour into 3 grewased and floured 9 inch round baking pans. Bake at 170 deg. C for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool.
In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the chocolate, coffee and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in icing sugar. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Cover and refrigerate until serving.


Note on the frosting:- I've made similar frostings before and I find that the frosting here thins out drastically due to the humidity of our climate. I did not use the butter and also substituted brown sugar for the icing sugar(I dislike overly sweet frostings but that's just personal preferences) and I cut back on the coffee by 1/4 cup. The melted chocolate was enough to get everything to a spreading consistency.

This cake really tastes great once the coffee flavours have mellowed-take it from me. If you can hold out, have it a day later. Enjoy. Thank God for Rosemary Conley's work out program!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Yummy! looks lovely. Once again me friends thank you.

Am in the spotlight again!! Hahahahahahaha.

podgykat said...

I'd do anything so that you stayed right there in the spotlight!!!You know that don't you?? Hehe. How'bout that abs baring contest? Let's haul "floppy belly" in, so if he loses he can sing for his supper and entertain us all? So looking forward to seeing you guys again!

mucho love.