In this journey called life-knowing one's roots is as important as the day one is born. To borrow this rastafarian quote- "The search for one's roots is an acknowledgement of the wealth of one's heritage, a due respect and gratitude to those who have gone before, and a rediscovering of what may have been lost."
A few years ago, my sister began fervently tracing and documenting our family's ancesteral roots on our maternal side. There just seemed to be more by way of information/facts on my mother's side than my father's. Though it was a tedious process, my sister has done an incredible job and it has taken her far and wide. It has also been a long and interesting journey as both my grandparents have melanau and british ancestry dating back to the Brooke rule in Sarawak. With our own children now grown up and asking questions it is inevitable that someone provided them with some answers.
Since my sister had that part of the family history more or less covered(this incredible woman even has a book in the works), I thought I'd try to do justice to my dad's side by just tracing/contacting immediate and known family members first. Eventhough my dad was born in Ipoh and brought up in Kuala Lumpur his family ancestry goes all the way back to Sri Lanka. Due to my father's untimely death, my siblings and I were brought up in Sarawak by my mum and her parents. Thus, we were geographically cut-off from my father's side of the family throughout our growing years. It was only until later in life that we were able to meet up with most of them. I know that my paternal grandfather was of Sinhalese/Dutch descent and my grandmother was of Irish/Tamil descent. Never had the chance to get to know my granddad as he died in the 1950's but had the chance to share hugs and kisses and stories with my grandma on many occasions when she was alive. She was one person who wherever she lived, whether it was Singapore or Australia, never failed to write us letters. She also never forgot any of our bithdays and there were five of us, mind you! I can still recall the joy I felt upon receiving birthday cards/letters from a grandmother I'd never met.
These couple of years have been a blessed and fruitful journey in that my children have met an uncle ( my dad's youngest brother) & his family. We journeyed all the way to Ipoh for this. But the highlight in this quest has got to be when we finally got to meet and "huuuuuuggggg" this cousin whom I had been looking for all of his life. And of course all these years, have always been extremely close to my good ole funky cousin Ray in KL. Sadly though, have not as yet been able to meet up with more first cousins in Ipoh. I guess Melaka is where we'll head next. More cousins there. There's also another cousin given away at birth to someone in Negri Sembilan. Sadly, she's one person I may never get to meet in this lifetime. DDFS.(deep dark family secrets) :( Then there's my grandma's only brother's family who live(d) in Sinagapore that we visited only once as kids... I've come up against brick walls trying to locate them. But I'm not about to give up yet. Extremely scary to think that the person standing next to you could be your kin!
Now back to tracing them roots...........and explaining to son Johann why he has "sepet" eyes while his bro and sis do not; or better still leave that to hubby- seeing that this particular trait comes from his side of the family! .....but that's another story. His story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






9 comments:
True, true ... very appropriate quote. My quest really was started by a seven-year-old's class project on putting together a poster board of different countries that made up her ancestry and the question "Where have I really come from?" In our case ... where indeed?
Who were these men and women who gave us so many gifts ... the arch in the eyebrows, the hook in the nose, the artistic talents, the administrative abilities, the love of order? We are English, Irish, Scottish, German, Dutch, Tamil, Sinhalese, Melanau ... every gene we carry in us comes from hundreds and hundreds of years of ancestry ... from the Farrington who fought with William the Coonqueror, the Wallerstein who grew coffee in Costa Rica, the Colden who came to America with a medical degree and a dream of a better life, to the adventurous Rodway who left the comforts of Victorian England for the wilds of Borneo. They were brave, adventurous people all ... and so when our children stride off in different directions it's their blood calling to them.
Finding one's roots gives us the knowledge of where we have come from and it also gives us a sense of where we fit in the world. It is really a larger picture ... I remember when I made my big connection to our grandmother's grandfather's family ... I got an email from a relative saying "Welcome to the family. We have been wondering what happened to that branch of the family." It is putting pieces of the puzzle together ... putting the branches on the family tree.
We have ways to go before we complete our family history because we come from people with a wide eyed sense of wonder who thought nothing about sailing on a ship across the world to settle on an island in the Indian Ocean, or of living among the Canajoharie Indians of New York or the headhunters of Borneo.
Each time you find a piece of the puzzle you find a little bit more of yourself.
I am still hunting ...
the journey continues......
And tell that cute young man, no eye surgery is necessary ... it's a gift from his ancestors! And it makes him who he is ...
cute? you sure or not??
Instead of eye surgery tell him to opt for toothpicks.
hahahaha.
Hahaha. will do. symmetry's involved that's why. right eye only.. my little vain pot. Takes after you know who! :)
Tracing them roots podgee maam....I like this very much. It's a snapshot of who we were; who we are and where we goin' exactly.
Regards.
And just for that Raybans, I am going to find that Sinhalese ancestor who looks like you ... he, he, he ...
Oh Lordy!, spare me please. Heaven forbid that the connection may reveal our ties to "the dolly parton of colombo". Scary man!.
Hahahahahaha.
Yeah, GT. Makes one fascinating journey, this. I'm sure your kids appreciate your efforts too-your exotic iban roots! Am still going it to this day and enjoying it.
Stay good.
TOPM-Raybans should've been here when his nephews came home and told me when they'd stopped for drinks at a coffeeshop a tamil movie was showing on the tv and the actor closely resembled you know who!!! hahaha. mucho lovo.
Raybans- puuuulizzzzz, not "dolly parton of colombo!" anyone but, ok!! I'll have nightmares thru out my entire life.Bad enough PMS keeping me awake nights!! More than scary. Can't wait to meet up and yak. hugs.
Post a Comment