Friday, November 10, 2006

Cookies & Memories of My Childhood

(L-R) makmor,nestum& cherry shortbread,almond crescents,jam tarts,oats shortbread and cornflakes crunchies..


These are some of the cookies that I made for raya, some have been completely "wiped out." Last year I was able to ship off some to my bros, sis and good ole cuzzy Ray. But sadly not this year. Decided to blog a pic or two, so at least you guys can see what you missed. Sorry Sam honey, please don't drool all over the keyboards; I know how you hate that peanut butter/milo diet you are perpetually on!


I normally make stuff that are the personal favourites of my family members. Some, because they remind me of my childhood. - Of christmases gone by when my grandma and mum would be doing the baking and us kids, the sampling! One such cookie that evokes all senses of childhood is the oatmeal shortbread. My mum would be making this delightful tasting morsels and we'd be in and out of the kitchen! I know this is one of my elder brother's favourites. Everytime I bake these, I'm back in my grandparents' home where I grew up. I remember my grandma was an expert at a melt-in-your mouth flower-shaped cookie which she finished off with a cherry on the top.I have not been able to sucessfully replicate the way hers tasted, so I've kind of given up trying! Of course, the jam tarts make their appearance every year. With some improvisations on my part where the pastry is concerned- my grandma & mum would use the "rub-in" method for the pastry whereas I use the "creamimg" method. The jam's made just the way I learnt from them.And my mum taught me never to stinge on the jam, so I don't.... A cousin comes by every year in anticipation of my mum's jam tarts. Sadly, my mum was not here this year to help me make them, but I did a whole batch so as not to disappoint him. No complaints there...


The makmor cookie and cornflakes crunchies, I make every year too because they are my daughter Iman's favourite. Hubby would eat anythig I bake, so I guess everything's his favourite!


Below is a savoury cookie-sesame and spring onion that a friend of Jeremy's used to consume by the bowlful.. He said I should just open a bakery so he could eat it all the time.Nice kid!




Drool if you must and if you bake and want the recipes, I'll gladly share...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummmm ... I remember those days too. When we were old enough, we were the ones up in the middle of the night baking all those goodies ... there was something about that time when all was well with the world. Now we have our own cookie making traditions with our children ... my baking time is coming up very soon ... I don't think I will go too crazy this year!

podgykat said...

Yeah, who can forget our afternoons of baking/trying out recipes.. of making our own birthday cakes etc? And nann's jam-making sessions after her afternoon naps filled the house with such lovely smells... ahh, of days gone by.. I had "little fingers" helping me out this year! Very much into it too she was! Had fun coiling the "perut ayam" dough - everyone enjoyed Aunty Bany's recipe and it's all gone now. Seems like I've got to make more over a weekend one of these days...send me pics of your american style cookies, so I can show them off on my blog!