Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentine's Day happenings....

Was a really good day for me yesterday, not only because it was Valentine's but the events that unfolded from morning proved to be, hmmm how shall I put it?- Maybe morally uplifting is the word. Though hubby was away & couldn't get back to celebrate the occasion, he rang early with some good news but of all things forgot to wish me a happy valentine's! The funny thing is just as I was going to wish him; he hung up...ADUHHH!! Never mind, just had to laugh about it; after all he was the bearer of some "other" good news!

The Good News-Our company had bid for a tender months ago and though it was awarded to us by the federal government, the state government agency here -or rather "one individual" precisely, had tried to hold it back by using every trick in the book - for reasons best known to him and us. Let's just leave it at that. I feel he was acting in very bad faith, being very personal when he should have been professional. So, when we got the news that they had been ordered to hand over the LA with no further delay to us, it was met with elation on our part. That would take care of some bills, put food on the table kind of thing..

So off I went to sign and collect all the "good news" documents and met up with a business associate in the process. Got my first valentine's gift for the day. Very unexpectedly, too. When we were through with our deal, we pass by one of gift stores packed with valentine's gifts from top to bottom, he turns to me & says- "Since it's Valentine's, I must get you something." Of course, I protest, but this kindly(-I can't say fatherly because I think he's the same age as hubby- so brotherly should be the word) gentleman insists & buys me a teddybear! I know, "beware of strangers bearing gifts" but it was valentines, and to appear gracious, had to accept.. I thanked him and said-"My daughter would be very happy with this gift!" Haha.. Here's what it looked like. Already showed hubby too.


The little gift pack of chocs & the card for Mom & Dad came from my little Iman. Handed the gifts to me when I picked her up at school. That was sweet!


More nice/quirky news from yesterday-

1. Old friend of some 20 over years standing is in town. Gives me a call, wants to meet up & also borrow some cake pans from me, to bake sister's Chinese New Year goodies.! We often do this annual/biennial meet-up thingy. Just us gals. We used to be good friends at school and went around together everywhere, so really looking forward to seeing her again. We were part of a trio that our class teacher used to call the "Three Musketeers." Haha.

2. Another old friend tells me when I call that she's on cloud nine because some anonymous person has sent her a wonderful Valentine's message. Thrilled for her because at our age, valentines come & go with no consequence so when you get a nice message like that, we must savour the moment ....... it may never come again hahaha.

3 Another old friend calls to wish me a happy valentine's with the good news that she's going to spend CNY in KL then Hong Kong. Told her not to forget to visit HK Disneyland....

4. One friend sends news that for Valentine's, not only is he miles away from loved ones but he's happily having a dinner of a different kind- main dish on the menu-"monkey!" Yes all the way there in Kerteh, "helping the farmers get rid off them pests" -I'm not to worry, he says, they're not eating any species to extinction, just helping the eco system run merrily along... Was bitten by a monkey once, so I don't associate with them at all...alive or cooked! :D

5. Made the choc dessert on my blog that turned out lovely, but hubs had taken the digicam with him, so no pics but the good news is my sister all the way across the pacific had made the same dessert and here's what hers looked like.. It looks so pretty & tastes suuuuuperb, I tell you!

6. My own valentine's dinner-you won't believe it- was at McDonald's! With the kids. Hahaha. Was good though.

And how was yours??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, dessert was yummy. TOP couldn't wait to eat it ... kept badgering me until I gave in (we wanted to wait because we had had a big dinner). It was so chocolaty she had to drink a glass of milk with it. I'll have to double and triple the recipe and see how that works.

This weekend TOP is making dinner for some friends (read that to mean that I am making dinner for her friends and she is helping). I will make sure that she makes the dessert -- one of her friends has asked for Hershey's kisses cookies -- easier thing in the world to make and quite fun.

The main meal is going to be chicken enchiladas. Yes, she eats Mexican food now :-). Will let you know how it turns out.

arty farty diva said...

J and I went to Madam Kwan's at KLCC coz our other fave hangout - Nippon Tei - was packed to the brim and there was even a long queue outside. To think that we are talking about 9.00pm here on a weekday! unbelievable! after that, we wanted to enjoy the coffee at starbucks but that was packed to the brim,too. so we went home and bought Slurpee! from 7-11 instead. so..uhmm...rather uneventful, you can say.

Unknown said...

Valentine's day will always be special as it's also my wedding anniversary - this year being the 16th. No pretty flowers, no sparkling diamonds, no cuddly teddy bears but that's ok. I'm used to it. As long as the love is still there.....

podgykat said...

TOPM, yes, that dessert was so chocolaty-the kids and I had dessert before dinner this time around! Would definitely make it again. Enchiladas-sounds super. Enjoy!

AFD, slurpee is good especially on valentine's and you're with a loved one!

Chica, my dear-a wonderful date for an anniversary I must say. I'd love to have flowers, diamonds(cubic zirconia would do fine too!)cuddly teddy bears & more but alas am married to someone who always forgets/has too much on his mind to remember.. (;_;)also no use so like you say, just get used to it! Still trying...Haha...