For starters, here's the green pea cookie that my sis TOPM, used to just love! just to make her salivate even more. Drool, drool drool.... (^_^)
Here's some kuih bangkit
This was taken in my best friend Ivy's sister's kitchen..Folks, not only is she sexy, she can bake too, hehe. The lovely cherry & cream creation on the cake stand, she made and more!
This is a close-up of Ivy's handiwork-it's as yummy as it looks. I had to do more rounds at the park today because I had a slice!
TOPM, this cake, no matter how good it tastes would probably never make it's way onto your table, by the name alone-it's known as Kek Negro overhere!! One of son Johann's favourite-he knows his mom would never attempt making this though. It needs a whole 8 hours of steaming, that's why! Tastes good though, if you cut back on the sugar. Made with pulverised black raisins.
As usual if Hubby makes a trip back home he'll come back with the freshest of fish to the delight of everyone in the household; this is the tuna he brought home a couple of days ago. I baked it for lunch today.. This is what it looked like on the way to the oven! It was good.
Now, in this pic, to the left, is a local jungle fruit known as "dabai" - found in abundance in the town of Sibu. It's a hard-skinned fruit,with a creamy yellowish flesh. Just a little care in preparation will result in luscious yellow flesh, akin to eating avocado I would say-just as fatty, too! The secret lies in using lukewarm water, to soak the fruit in! My sis in law's maids in KL once boiled the fruits, much to our ( Sarawakians) amusement! And they wondered why the fruit tasted horrible! hahahaha The bowl on the right, contains the dip I made to eat with the baked tuna.
This is the ever popular stink-beans sambal, locally known as "petai". In this household everyone can eat this except my youngest Iman! needless to say, air-freashener needs to be on stand-by with every visit to the loo! Not to forget that triple-strength mouthwash, or no kisses for and from anyone!!! I cooked this quite sometime ago, but no chance to blog the pic.
This just deepfried "tempe" or indonesian soya bean cake and the dip to go with it. My kids love tempe prepared with "sambal tumis" too.
This about ends it for today - hope you folks enjoyed going on this food journey with me! In this household, exposure to different culinary pleasures early on in life due to our diverse racial/cultural make-up has led to everyone developing very adventurous taste buds. And I have evolved into an equally adventurous cook but when the inevitable mood swing makes it's appearance, I've been known to serve up "PMS" fried rice for dinner,hehe. I'm only human after all......






7 comments:
Thank you (I think!) for the pictures of the green pea cookies ... I remember the kuih bangkit too@ Nanny used to make those, didn't she?
I miss a lot of those cakes we used to get fresh from the market == what was that brown cake called? The one that looks like a small saucer with the edges curled up? That spongy cake with peanuts and sugar?
I've got a cup of tea brewing ... I'll just have to have a plain old cookie with it.
I never ate dabai and I do not believe I have ever tasted petai, so I don't miss those. But the fresh fish, those I dream about!
We could change the Kuih Negro to Kuih Afrikan ... no, I couldn't serve that here without changing the name.
My tea and dry cookie is calling ...
Definitely, Nanny used to bake kuih bangkit every Xmas! Alongside there was the 'cherry on the top" one, I think that was "semprit"-melt in your mouth kind; both.
Aha, both cakes you mentioned are still available today-the brown saucer shaped one is called "penyaram" and that fluffy pancake-like one with peanut & sugar filling is "apam balik". I'll make some of those more traditional kuihs soon and blog the recipes & pics, when time! I made the traditonal tapioca bingka & have the pic. Do you remember, we used to make that at home too. I'll have that one up soon.
Meantime, enjoy your tea & dry bicuit, you poor dear! :-)
Ah, bingka ... yes, I remember that too. I think I will be as big as a house if I visit Malaysia! Maybe, I'll make friends with Ivy and she'll make me the green pea cookies :-) I like her style ... she's cool.
Hubster is away in Atlanta for a few days, so I am making foods that only I will eat. Lots of salmon in the fridge. Will fix something separately for TOP.
DABAI...oh how I miss Dabai. Is it the season yet? There's another I think they call it "Kemayau" or sth like that. It's longer and bigger but not as lemak. The only way to know if the dabai is lemak before buying is to do what my mum would do - bite abit off the fruit. Yes, you can eat it raw, apparently; albeit, not very nice.
Is Ivy living in Kuching now? And that Henry..was he the perfect in Kolej? serious-looking fella or at least, trying to look stern with us - naughty 4th-formers at that time. haha!
The Dabai dear, was from Sibu, almost past the season I think because when Hubs got to the market in Sibu it was the last "tompok" there and of course that means price hike by 100 percent! I never liked that "kemayau"-a tad tasteless for my liking! I like your mum's way of gauging the "lemakness" of the fruit-must bring her shopping next time!!
Haha, you remember Henry? Yes, he was the party-pooper in kolej; I tell him ever so often!! So stern, never smiling, we were not friends in school, would you believe? But he's mellowed with age or else we couldn't go out for coffee ever. We are still "naughty" compared to him, but he's learning! Haha. Ivy lives in Miri with the family-she's got 3 of them strapping, good-looking boys! we catch-up like this, once a year. She spends CNY with the sis & family. I'll have more pics up soon, so you can play more test your memory games with all those kolej "faces"...
You know your food, ma'am.
Yup, Bergen I make it a point to! I just love cooking & baking. Never a dull mealtime in this household because the kids know that they can be taken to the other ends of the globe when their momma cooks! Whether it's local ethnic or foreign, it's at the top of my list to learn the finer points of a particular dish..Actually it delights me to no end to see the family enjoying the spoils of my labour! :D My daughter Iman always gives me an A++++++ Who could ask for more?
Post a Comment