Wednesday, February 07, 2007

More delights from Prissy's Bakery!


Walnut & Raisin Pound Cake

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup (8 ounces sour cream)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped

Glaze (if liked)
1 cup confectioners' sugar ( or icing sugar, as it's known here)
2 to 3 tsps milk

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, shortening & sugar until light & fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract. Combine flour & baking powder; add in the raisins & walnuts and add this to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat until just combined. Pour into a greased & floured 10-in fluted tube pan. Bake at 170 deg, fan forced oven for 45-50 mins or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 mins. before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over cake. (if liked)

Baked this cake for tea last week.

Here's a slice, with a mug of hot coffee, thrown in!




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy. The weather has been so cold here that I've been in a bread baking mood ... made cinnamon rolls and raisin swirl bread last night. TOP was in heaven and couldn't wait to get at the rolls ... nothing like a hot cinnamon roll.

I shall have to bake your cake for tea when Mum and Kate come to visit.

podgykat said...

Aha, you must; it's a lovely cake-I tweaked a recipe from the TOH actually! hehe. It's a good sized cake that serves a crowd, but keeps well and tastes divine! I haven't made bread in awhile and was actually craving the smells of freshly baked bread a little while ago! Must be PMS. LOL. Craving this, craving that for no good reason....*sigh* Wow, cinnamon rolls, the brood welcomes those anytime.. Hmm, maybe that's what I'll bake tomorrow...(^_~)

I really hope mom & Kate get to visit in August. Planning to stay a while too from what I hear, hmmm which is good as both ladies ain't got nobody to tie them down, eh!

Bergen said...

Goes well with Sumatran Coffee. Beats the kind they've got at one of those new fangled coffee outlets.

podgykat said...

Yup, sure does Bergen. Black was my choice of the day; great for dunking too! Hah, I'm one of "those." LOL Thanks for stopping by, haven't seen you here in awhile. Nice days.

Anonymous said...

Apparently TOP went to school and told everyone about the cinnamon rolls and her good friend Cate brought her home in the afternoon and had a roll and a glass of milk ... no one knows how to drink hot tea here in the South ... sigh, sigh, sigh.

Another friend has put in a request for fudge, so I will be making a batch this Saturday. No one really bakes and cooks anymore here so I am the oddity.

Yep, am looking forward to Mum and Kate's visit. I know Mum doesn't drink coffee anymore but Kate may ... Starbucks has a Sumatran blend of coffee (I'll have to bite the bulletin and go into that pretentious place).

Did you bake bread?

podgykat said...

Would you believe, I haven't had time to bake the rolls/bread that I wanted to yet! Too many things going on in between! Exasperated housewife with an on & off relationship with the office/business. On, when hubs is away, off when he's around sort of thing!Today was one such day. Time for a raise, I should say, hahaha!

Hey, what's with Americans & tea-educate them doll! And I think you've been misinformed about your mom & the not drinking coffee anymore bit-last I was in KL(month or so ago, right) she was very much into it or we were very much into it! Haha, even left her the bag of sumatran coffee a friend had given us....

Starbucks has good lattes, what. Took me 2 whole hours or something like that to finish mine the last time I was there, hehe. Big mug.