Sunday, February 04, 2007

More home decor ideas../Bathroom

Ever since hubby expressed the desire to carry out more renovation works to our house last year, I have been happily scouring home decor magazines & the net for ideas. I already know what I want, looking for some custom made pieces to achieve that certain look is where the fun's at for me. Since hubby has fully entrusted that aspect of the plans to me, (obviously has alot of faith in my tastes!) I don't want to disappoint him, kan? So full throttle, of I went! Actually still going at it!

The architect has almost finalised the plans-the only thing standing in the way now is the approval from the local council...... Been there, done that so we all know how time-consuming all these fiddly bureaucratic red-tape business is going to be. Some junior officer's gotta sit on it long enough before it heats his butt up enough for him to get it off to the big boss, who sits on it further til someone gives him a jolt, maybe, yeah, maybe only then will we get the approval! Hopefully it will happen within the next month or two.

For some years now my tastes have veered towards a more classical traditional look,(but the "shabby chicness" will always crop up now & again-just can't help it!) rather than modern contemporary. I also just love the character of aged pieces; you know the knocks, the kinks, the scratches - rather than the smooth and unspoilt surfaces of new. And I just love the rustic look of natural stone and stucco, so I can't even consider the more contemporary, polished looks in my decorstyle. No shiny metals either, I prefer wrought iron and unpolished brass/copper, the more worn down by age, the better.

Since hubby has proposed a whole new wing to be designated "parents only" area-I have been happily scheming especially on what I want for the bathroom. I believe the bathroom's always the last place to be given due consideration to, so I thought I'd better start off there instead of the bedroom. How nice to be able to soak in a sweetly scented bath with some essential oil or other thrown in to soothe all the aches & pains of the day gently away...Hmmm. A few years ago, we had to remove the bathtub from our master bathroom because it contributed to a major leak that seeped right through to our kitchen below. How I miss that bathtub! Eventhough I was only an occasional 'soaker.' And in a prebuilt house like ours, one has no choice but to accept whatever the developers dole out, no matter how much you hate it! We have done up our master bathroom/toilets and also the other baths & toilets in the house once before, but there's not much that you can do when you're dealing with the confines of space. So when space is not the limitation here, but more ringgit & sen,*wink, wink* got to apply some ingenuity of one's own. Therein lies my quest!

Here are some looks I'm considering, may not incorporate all the decor elements but basically this is the kind of look I hope to achieve..... AFD, kindly keep your eyes peeled! Take note especially of those wrought iron pieces, your expertise in reproduction will be highly appreciated here!


I don't care for the upholstered furniture here which would turn mouldy & mildewed in no time in our climate BUT I'm more than interested in that wrought iron(?) toiletry stand there in the corner! AFD, check it out please! And please keep stock of those wrought iron chairs, the Havana(?) range....love that!



Italian mediterranean inspired towel bar.



Freestanding toiletroll holder.



This pic has the venetian mirror that I absolutely like the looks of, and the wrought iron light fixtures that flank on both sides get my seal of approval...
Hoping hubs doesn't baulk at all these ideas!! Since everything's got to go with the flow of the design of the whole house, this seems fit... AFD, input please?!!

2 comments:

arty farty diva said...

Designs noted. Maybe have to do abit of tweaking 'coz a couple of these items have moulded components. Will work on them over the CNY holidays (no, not going anywhere - planning to catch up on SLEEP!) and get back to you with revised designs pronto. But very nice designs I must say. Your hubby is a wise one to entrust the job to the best person. haha!

podgykat said...

Thanks for dropping by & checking out these wrought iron accents-in your creative hands, these ideas of mine will see the light of day. Take your time with the revised designs, no hurry m'dear. Tweak all you want & sleep all you want over the CNY hols!
I'll go trooping & snooping around for more pieces!! Heart filled gratitude always.