Saturday, February 17, 2007

Friends of the Heart...

In this close-knit circle of friends that I now have with the exception of Ivy, June & I, who never lost touch since 1980 (yes!) some of us were not even friends back then but with the advent of the reunion in 2005, most who were present that night have remained steadfast friends to this day. And though all have families and various commitments, when anyone comes to town ( in this case Kuching) we try our darndest to make time for a meet-up.

Yesterday was one such time. My good friend Ivy came to town to celebrate Chinese New Year with her sis & family so we just had to get together to share our usual laughs & stories. We started off with breakfast - being from the flexi working hours set-Henry & I had the pleasure of sharing an exceptionally lovely time with Ivy. The other friends had to opt out due to circumstances beyond their control. Early morning meetings put a damper on Hj Othman's, Ken's & Sophia's plans to join us; but that was alright...we met up for dinner later that night! Here are some pics from our memorable time together.


At breakfast, - we had so much fun reminiscing over our schooltime antics years ago. Both Henry & Ivy had not seen each other in almost 26 years!


We had this most delicious breakfast at a place called "Kaya & Toast"- Henry bought us this breakfast set which consisted of coffee, kaya & toast & the most perfect soft-boiled eggs ever! And I just couldn't resist a side order of their "chai kueh" ( halal stuff) If you're ever in Kuching, give this place a try.




Here we are a few of us who could make it for dinner at The River Palace Restaurant of the Crowne Plaza. It was really special because like I said earlier a few had not seen each other in 26 years! After dinner we still had not enough of each other so we headed to the hotel coffee house where as usual we engaged in goodhumoured debate on various topics and with a lawyer in our midst, that proved very interesting. Though someone's wife had to board an early morning flight, we still held up the closing of the coffeehouse by a good half hour! And someone happily announced on not being expected home by 6 am, so there was no problem there! It was hard to say goodbye as usual, but we're supposed to have another meet-up before ever sexy Ivy heads home!So looking forward to that. I just love that babe-such a good friend. Heartfelt gratitude to the usual coffee buddies - Hj Othman, Sophia, Henry, Raelo for making the time and effort to turn up for this dinner for Ivy. For the ones who wanted to be there but couldn't, you were missed! WE'LL CATCH-UP SOON, YA!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys had fun! I particularly like the look of that breakfast. I cannot even find any decent kaya here -- last one I had was when that dahling Ray brought some over. Maybe I should make my own -- except where on earth would I get pandan leaves? If I lived in Florida I would grow my own "Asian" garden. Unfortunately here it would freeze or fat Henry (my cat!) would dig it up.

I remember my friends too from that long gone age and so I am glad that you are enjoying time with yours.

Hope you enjoy some Chinese new year goodies. Eat some of those green pea cookies for me.

podgykat said...

HI TOPM - I have pandan leaves growing in wild abandon in my backyard; would feel lost without it!

Just got back from "visiting" a couple of friends' houses-not only did I get to sample your fav green pea cookie-took some pics of it as well! Will post later...

Really basking in these friendships - hopefully we'll remain so for along time.

More Chinese new year visits tonight!

Clark Gable of Pulau Duyong said...

Dear Podgykat,
Thanks for dropping by in my blog,Pam is my imaginary friend haha..no!! am not writing from any Psychiatric Clinic but the letter to Pam was initially directed to you but it became heavier as the spin getting bigger and I would be embarass if it was really a letter as such addressed to a nice lady like you.
Now am ok ,backdown to earth.

It was exciting meeting Rocky and Ms. NAS but I just got to fashion it to look like am in control of my excited self...
Thanks again,the pic is great and you got your lips from your maternal grandma.
Gong Xi Fa Chai

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the pictures and pretend that I am savoring the cookies. I always thought Edith's mum made the best ones ... I always looked forward to visiting her at CNY for those once a year cookies.

Hmmm, it's interesting how other people see us,isn't it? Rather thought we all (except for the Don) looked more like Dad's side of the family. The Don got the Rodway stamp right down to the shape of the fingers! But the truth be told, we probably got a mix from both sides.

Hope you enjoyed all your CNY visits.

podgykat said...

CGOPD - Nice to see you agian, thanks for the visit. Ehhh, no wonder I had those psychic vibes as I was reading your letter to Pam! Felt as if you were talking to me and the funny thing is the initials to my name actually spell PAM! Now see who belongs in the psychiatry ward..Haha. About those lips,hmm, now that age is really catching up and insomnia/hot flushes are the norm-yess, I think I have grandma's lips after all! I'm honoured; she took good care of us! Thanks Doc for pointing that out; I never realised! I wish I had inherited her size though-she was soooo petite at 4ft 9ins tall! So nice to make your acquaintance, CGOPD.... I know now why you call yourself Clark Gable, that's a good one, eh!
I may need your services one day soon! Since the law of gravity favours no one, hahahaha. take care & all the best!

TOPM - Yes I remember Edith's mom being a dab hand at those cookies-the green pea and the kuih bangkit! I can recall the green pea being your favourite, wish you were here to savour some.

Funny how as we age the ancestral similarities become more apparent! Yes, at home the kids tease me that I belong to the LTTE-and how if I ventured to Sri Lanka soil, I wouldn't be out of place, hehee.. Never mind-it's so confusing already as it is. People still come up to me and ask me what race am I- I've a standard answer prepared-I just say, from India! Even this can bring on a long debate with the person asking-it'll drag on to "if from India, why so fair, ahh?" Then I would have to enlighten the "oh so blur party" that Northern Indians are fair Oii!!All in jest seeing that we have more connections to the south than north la...Sometimes they come up and tell you what race they think you are; some almost make me laugh till coffeee comes out of my nose-which is known to happen much to the family's embarassment-but now am in some sort of management classes to keep that habit under control!! hahaha... Pics up soon!
Love to all.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Pricilla,

What a blog! I enjoyed yours very much. By the way, I never known that there was a place called Kaya and Toast in Kuching? Am I missing something? Where is the location though? I considered myself an outgoing person but this time I had to admit that I didn't browse hard enough heh....! I like your 'food department' too....well, I guess we MUST stay connected because when it comes to food, I am no stranger.....I have sweet tooth for chocolates! I like to share you my favourite fudge recipe if you are interested. My hubby's Californian friends were well served every lunch when I packed him a container of fudges for snack! And one day I cooked lamb curry Malaysian's style and 2 of his friends, Tim and Bill, asked for the recipes. Then I thought, I should make my own Kaya for breakfast and see what they think about it....Thanks for reminding me!

Well, I miss Kch already, but we have our little 8 months old tabby brown cat named Storm here that keeps us sidetracted.
And you have a wonderful good friends there I can see.
Thanks again for inviting me to view and share your lovely blog and wonderful pictures. I really appreciate that.
Cheers,
SM

podgykat said...

Welcome SM, all the way from California! A pleasure to have you here! Yes, please do share your fudge recipes, and more!! If you have pics and the recipes; I'll blog them with all credits to the cook of course! I remember you telling me that you like baking and cooking and in California, you probably get more asian stuff than my poor sis in Virginia!
There are 2 Kaya & Toast outlets, one is at the 3rd mile commercial center and the bigger outlet is at Jln Petanak, Ang Cheng Ho area. They seem to be doing brisk business and the fare they dish up is pretty good! Do let me know how your kaya turned out-maybe you could share the recipe, so my sis could make her own. I remember making a stirred over the stove version many times in the past, but sadly have not been able to find the recipe! If I remember corrrectly, the sugar had to be caramelised first, then the santan & eggs were added-then everything was stirred over a small flame till custardy... maybe I'll try it soon, and see how it turns out.

Glad you have your Tabby and little one to keep you occupied! How old is Benjamin this year? Have you sent him to playgroup? And Ardilla, is she settled in well at her new school? Do stay in touch, by visiting often! My hubby thinks I'm nuts that everytime I bake/cook something now, the digicam is never far away! Take care now, and share those recipes & pics ok!