BEE CHAY KUIH BINGKA
As promised, here is a tried & tested nyonya kuih that I have made successfully time and again. Latest was Sunday afternoon. Simple. Tasty. Give it a go. Too lazy? Hesitant? Just head my way! AFD, want to impress those "matsalleh" ladies at your pot-luck? Try making this too. :) And the apple pie!
180g rice flour (any good quality brand)
45g greeen pea flour (again obtain this at the cake ingredients section in any supermarket-comes in small plastic tubes, known as tepung hoen kwee locally)
10g sago/tapioca flour ( as above)
1200ml coconut milk(from 1 1/2 grated coconuts)-mine came out of a tetrapak! hehehe. Cheat.
200g sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 pandan leaves, knotted
1. Grease a 8x8inch square cake pan with oil. Preheat oven to 225 deg. centigrade.
2. Mix the flours & coconut milk together & strain into a deep heavy-based saucepan. Add sugar, salt and pandan leaves and cook over a very low fire until thick, stirring continuously for 5 minutes or more. Stir right to the bottom to prevent the batter from sticking to the pot & burning(to be avoided at all costs) and forget about answering phones/replying to smses while in the process! Believe me, you don't want to end up with a "hangit" kueh, ok!
3. Turn off the heat and pour into the prepared cake pan. Spread with a spatula to level the surface. ( I find it's a breeze if you just run the spatula under water each time before levelling.)
4.Stick the kuih into the oven and grill for 30 mins until dark brown and aromatic, turning the tray around to brown evenly. This cake really needs to cool down about 4-6 hrs or overnight ( if made in the late afternoon) before slicing makes the job easier and it's tastier cold. Slice into thick squares to serve.
MORE TIPS- I actually use the top & bottom grills of my oven to do this, as I prefer the kuih to have a nice crust all around. And the kuih that I prepared in the pic above actually has sesame seeds sprinkled all over the top before baking. Wash & dry some sesame seeds and just sprinkle on before baking. I did that just for a variation on the normal kuih. Gave it a nice crunch!
The main reason why I wanted to learn to make this nyonya kuih so much is again very sentimental. My mom had mentioned one day in our talks about my late dad that this was one of his favourite kuihs. Not knowing my dad on account of him dying too young & too soon, somehow learning his likes and dislikes, no matter how minute the detail, brought the man a little closer in spirit.






6 comments:
yumm...yumm. copied the recipe going to try it over the weekend....maybe hehehe
Try to make this-it's easy breezy & yummy too. Mom would like it. Maybe thet cute little Eleanor would take a liking too! Seen her birthday pics; wish we were there! Loved the one with her laughing into the camera. Smooches & lotsa hugs for her.
Thank you for all the beautiful recipess. Tried and tested. Delicious. Keep it up,Pris.
Sophie
Thanks for dropping by Soph. I'm supposed to get that liver pate recipe for you, sorry about the delay! Soon. Am glad you like the recipes featured. Will add more with time!
Great days, ok.
Looks good! I'll make it when I have company to experiment on ... it's no fun being the only one to eat something.
I made some blueberry cupcakes scented with lemon last night out of my Cooking Light magazine and the two picky eaters told me they were not going to even try it. I was making them for a neighbour whose birthday falls on Feb. 29 anyway and today when I get back from work I am going to frost and decorate them, put them on a pretty plate and take them next door. Ms. June will appreciate them unlike those two philistines of mine. She likes blueberries and I'd never seen a recipe for blueberry cupcakes before.
I remember Mum telling us about Dad liking wajik too and scones.I think I'll make some scones when Mum and Kate are here ... strawberry jam and cream and fresh strawberries ... it will be fun to have people to have "tea" with.
Those blueberry cupcakes sounds so good-I know jeremy loves blueberry in anything! Sometimes they have the frozen variety in the supermarkets overhere but not often. Hope your Ms June loves them - is she that kindly old lady you mentioned before?
I remember about that wajik too and the scones! You guys will have a good time I bet when mom & Kate gets there.
Post a Comment