Monday, July 31, 2006

My past time indulgences.....

Apart from my usual hobbies of reading, planting, house decorating, stripping (?_?) (hahaha, read on lah) and refurbishing old furniture, collecting cookie jars and seashells, baking, and cooking - a favourite past time and stress buster I used to indulge in (when there was breathing space!) was cross-stitching. Here are a few pics of the work I have done and gotten framed. They now adorn the walls of my family home.

This is one of the first few I did- a vase of tulips from a british magazine. I was so into tulips at that time!


This one was from an american cross-stitching magazine.It sits on my telephone counter in the kitchen.


This sunflower I got off a british magazine-on one side of the mirror console in living room. I did this maybe 17 years ago!


This poppy--from the same source and the same age as the sunflower above. Adorns the other side of the console.


This one is the "mother" of all cross stitches! Took me the longest time to complete due to the wide colour range etc and detailings to the face, etc.and the personal crises in between! 2 miscarriages and a child later, I completed this piece in a total time span of over three years.Very special to me. And it takes pride of place above my grandparents' dresser.


I've included this piece eventhough it's not my work. It was done for me by a cousin for my birthday. Thanks again Lolo for this wonderful piece of work!

More hobbies and pics later!

PS-Those who visited earlier will notice that I've edited my ramblings ;)

6 comments:

GerubiTuai said...

Well done Podgee maam. Time well spent lah tu. Most Iban say, "Nadai Jaku Nya."

podgykat said...

Thanks, hahaha. Growing up around my grandma who was constantly doing this or that was a good example. If she saw anyone of us just lazing around-she'd say;"Idle mind is the devil's workshop" Meaning you'd better be doing somethin' rather than nothin'. The eyesight's not what it used to be, so haven't actually been cross stitching in years! I've stashed some unfinished projects in the drawers somewhere...........:)

Anonymous said...

Yes, the other one was "idle fingers, idle fingers, find some work to do!"

podgykat said...

TOPM, thanks reminding me on that one! She sure was one strong old lady-remember her disapproval when the boys overslept! She'd go around the house, muttering, "I don't know what's wrong with the kids nowadays-night becomes day and day becomes night!" Hehehe. Miss her mango jam....

Anonymous said...

She was quite the character that one! But aren't those the ones we remember the most? I do still think of that mango tree when I pay a buck for two mangoes here. Someday I will find the time to make that mango jam again ... the smells of our childhood.

podgykat said...

Yup, sometimes in my mind's eye I'm back home once more and the moment you enter the front door in the afternoon, wafting through the house are those lovely jam smells! Any fruit that was in season, remember? Mango, pineapple,rambutan etc!