Wednesday, August 02, 2006

My Apple Pie & Sea Shells....

Finally got down to making that apple pie for tea yesterday after "craving" for a few days.... Turned out well. Here's what it looked like, just out of the oven! :)



The crust had grated cheddar cheese in it for extra flavour-tasted great, too. Some people like their apple pie ala mode, ie with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream. The MOTH prefers it this way. The princes like theirs either plain or with whipped cream. Me and the princess like ours plain but cold, fridge cold that is....



This pic shows part of my shell collection-I have always loved collecting shells. Maybe it's a wonderful reminder of the younger days when we used to live so close to the beach, we'd go a shell-picking almost everday! But sadly,nary a shell in sight these days on that particular beach. Pollution? Very likely so. Most of the shells in my collection are the ones my family and I have picked off the beaches in Mukah, Santubong and Sematan in Sarawak. I also have shells from Sabah and the Philippines. And more recently, from Pulau Pangkor.


More shells-in a goldfish bowl! On a coffee table.














One day inspiration hit and I got out all those shells I had collected throughout the years and did this mirror and shelf (out of recycled items) thingy. Now, I can view my shells all the time!

My fingers are never idle for long,Grandma. :)

8 comments:

GerubiTuai said...

Podgee maam, that's where all the seashells gone to...hehahaha..good form of interior decor and is an art really. Hahaha I usually get McDonald's apple pies..my quick way to acquiring them when craving for them!

You have done well with those shells..keep it up!!

Regards from GT

podgykat said...

Thanks GT-I actually didn't know I had so many shells until the light bulb flickered in my mind while we were throwing out old termite-ridden cabinets etc. Took out the drawers and sawed in half;which then became the shelf! Out of the store-room came shells and more shells! that I'd stored in bottles and tins! Hehehe. When inspiration hits,nothing can stop me........! I've stripped,sanded down and repainted and given the "shabby chic" look to an entire set of living room furniture! If I'm ever out of $ anytime, maybe I can be yr side-kick! Assembling furniture for you. I still love doing all that! Cheerio!

GerubiTuai said...

Podgee maam, anytime..you can be the side-kick anytime. My sons are doing that with me now, when they aren't doing anything meaningful lah. Looks like we'll be occupied today too and I am taking the younger one while the older one helps mummy paint. Hahah..if nobody wants to do it, I'll make it a business right? Some of those imported RTA's are a pain in the rear end!!
hahaha..Mr. Lawyer must be busy or maybe tired of us yakking hhahha.

podgykat said...

I'm glad for you , you've got the kids involved in what you do. We seem to be DIY enthusiasts, don't we! Your wife paints too? Good-I've painted and painted lots of things in the house;even the front door! Haha. Of course I consult everyone else first on colour choice etc... The weekend's here once again-hope my sore throat goes away fast. Enjoy yours with the family. I see you've got a new post up; I've to read slowly to grasp the meanings etc of the words! Henry's been really busy,by the looks of it!

Henry Anak Joseph said...

It seems that I have been missing a lot of things. Not able to lay my fingers on the computer keyboard, I had been deprived of the sight of finger-licking apple pie.

As a matter of fact, I have no intention of writing anything today. I just want to read other people's entries only. But then the fingers start getting itchy
with the keyboard.


The State Legislative Assembly (SLA)had just concluded its first sitting. I had met a few senior Iban leaders in the last few days. Their impression of the opposition's performance during the sitting was expected. But I won't go into its detail. Since 1987 this is the first time the SLA sees a bigger number of opposition members in its fold. All this while the SLA had been full of BN backbenchers.

Many years ago, Professor de Smith, said that the oppossitin was her Majesty's second and alternative government. That is why in the UK there's always a shadow cabinet formed by the opposition. But here at home the opposion is at best not needed and at worst a threat to the internal security and thus becoming a species to be exterminated.

Once there was a doctor who turned politician. He almost never agreed with any dissenting opinion. His alone was the best. It seems to suggest that as a doctor he knows what is best for his patients. Today this very doctor is crying foul claiming that it's his fundamental right to voice dissenting views and notably to sensitize the government of the day.

Many years ago I had a minor road accident(not my fault anyway. A 10-tyre lorry rudely knocked my rear bumper)somewhere in Kamunting, Perak. There's a centre in Kamunting, named, 'Pusat Perlindungan Tahanan' (literally translated means 'Centre for the Protection of Detainees'). This place had housed people like Lim Kit Siang, Karpal Singh, Ahmad Boestamam, Anwar Ibrahim, Professor Dr Syed Hussein Ali, Jefferey Kitingan, Maximus Ongkili, etc. They are housed there because they are threat to the internal security, so they say. Lim Kit Siang and Karpal Singh had been for many years members of Parliament. Karpal is a prominent lawyer too. Jefferey Kitingan was once a federal cabinet member. Now Maximus Ongkili is a member of Parliament as well as a member of Abdullah Badawi's cabinet and attached to the Prime Minister's Department.

Yesterday I was reading a book written by R.H Hickling. He was once an Assistant Attorney General of Sarawak (1950-54)when Sarawak was still under the British rule. Later as Parliamentary Draughtsman, he was intructed by Tun Abdul Razak to draft the Internal Security Act, 1960 (ISA they called it). Those guests at Kamunting that I referred to earlier were guests created by the ISA. Hickling, in commenting the outcome the case of Teresa Lim Chin Chin vs. Inspector General of Police and Two Others, was shocked to find that the ISA was no longer confined to matters related to communism, which never came to Hicking's wildest imagination.

As some may not be aware, the ISA was enacted as a post-Emergency measure in dealing with threat arising from communist activities. The Malayan Emergency was declared in 1948 immediately after Sir Henry Gurney was ambushed and killed. In 1960 the Malayan Government led by Tunku Abdul Rahman decided to annul the 1948 Emergency. The ISA was enacted in consequence of that annulment.

I am just wondering when one becomes a threat and when he ceases to be so.

Speaking of food, I think I can take anything adible and pallatable. But most of the time I eat to live. Occasionally I eat to get the real taste of the food. Sometimes, I said sometimes, I am a glutton too. But if anything I really miss about food, it's my late grandmother's cooking, which by the look of it, all were simply-do kind of cooking. But it was really delicious--be it vegetables, fish or meat. I am not doubting Podzykat's delicious cuisine in any way at all. I am just wondering if anyone can ever beat my grandma when come to simply-do kind of cooking, stirred with just a thin piece of wood three-four times the size of modern tooth pick.

Podzykat, I like all the food you exhibit herein. But please don't just stop there. Send to my house some of that.

With that I got to go now.

GerubiTuai said...

Podgee maam, yes mem..wife likes to paint and she did good though. Every woman, I think, does that..she has to consult, but in the end..it's more leaning to her choice lah!! I am constantly thinking and typing, and the new one should be posted very very soon. Slow slow meh..we say belubah meh.
Huhhh..honourable judge Henry's presiding. Hmmm after a long recess that is.

Have a nice weekend folks.

podgykat said...

Henry, Thank you very much for your opinions/observations here. Enjoy reading your lenghty comments as they run a thru a wide range of topics, from food right down to the politics of the past & present! I think we all grew up on grandma's cooking to some degree in our younger days. I can still picture my grandma at the stove preparing my grandpa's favourite food which was curry. He could've curry everyday but the meat would change from pork,wild boar,venison,chicken etc. And his curries would never be too spicy,so only she knew how he liked it. In the evenings, at the dinner table, he would tease,"why does the curry look watered down? Did you use water instead of coconut milk upon reheating? Then he'd say to us present, "Oh, your nan's turning into a Cik Las nowadays"... She in turn would preternd not to hear anything he said, but would utter a very loud "Uhhh" and continue eating..The antics of the old folks! And the memories/joys of eating at Grandma's table! And I remember being at the age where no one else showed as much affection as her. She'd always stop us in our path wherever we were headed to give us kisses on both cheeks..........Memories of grandma! You're most welcome to stop by anytime to have tea with the family & I anytime.. friend. :)

Groove
Yup, the lawyer has finally responded-a bit too late for any apple pie to make an appearance on his doorstep though, haha. He seems a busy man these days. Today he called from a location close to the border with Indonesia where he witnessed some blatant misuse of power by certain civil servants. I can't say more but I know he sounded very disappointed and sorry for the people involved. Henry as I know him is a very fair and unbiased individual even when it comes to people accused of any wrong-doing. He adheres steadfast to the principle of "innocent until proven guilty"-admirable, I might add.

I'm following all your posts but having difficulty with most of the words, hahaha. Have a good weekend to you folks too! Off to do some light chores then have a cuppa, then some R&R! Take care then to all.

GerubiTuai said...

Podgee maam, yes maam Honourable Henry is indeed a fair, good man. Not too many people adhere to 'innocent until proven guilty' principle. Sadly most of the time..people have to prove their innocence! Been there a time or two. Yeap some of the words are tunsang tebalit, but I keep on writing, let the mind rolls along lah.

Cheers.