Friday, July 14, 2006

Food,Glorious Food....


The "before' pic of the ikan terubok,straight off the plane into my kitchen sink!


The 'after' pic-this is what a couple looked like after being "pangganged!" I had steamed a couple of them fishes too but omitted by pangs of hunger to take any close-ups! But can be viewed in another pic( further below) of the whole spread if one is tempted enough to "zoom" in!


The wonderful "umai" prepared from one whole extremely fresh "just out of the sea" tenggiri batang. OK,OK, here's where I cheated - my dear MOTH got the experts to do the job! From the catching, right down to the cleaning and slicing! All I had to do was lay it out gracefully on a plate, with some garnishing... This is how the Melanaus eat their "umai"-and since they're the experts, who are we to argue, right. No marinating beforehand, just have your favourite sauces ready and the true blue way of eating it is just to dip slices of the fish in the sauce,but only MOTH does that. The rest of us mix everything together just before tucking in! And don't forget those baked sago pearls on the side the very essential accompaniment to all Melanau fish dishes!


Sambal "assam paya"-the most authentic/essential ingredient to accompany the "umai"-this was made by one of hubby's relatives, a wonderful cook of authenthic melanau cuisine. Yep, airflown too as was the fish. I know, I know I'm spoilt.. :)


Aha,this sambal I can lay claim to-it's a groundnut based sambal. A must-have in this household. It's made of coarsely ground nuts,a pinch of belacan, some lengkuas,a little serai,lots of chillies , lime juice,some hot water, and salt. No sugar, PLEASE. Some people add sugar-we don't like sugar in ours. What we do in our family is mix a little bit of both sambals into the fish slices and devour. "kuat nyaman,ooo!"


This is the whole spread-the big bowl in front left contains "assam putih"-made with the bones of the 'umaied" tenggiri. It had so much flesh on the bones, it was too good to discard-so this is what I turned it into. Zoom in and you can see the bowls of sago etc... The sago is courtesy of Othman who gave me this really good tasting batch from his hometown.


Henry-you were missed and this is what you missed! And I know terubok is Tony's favourite fish, so wish that he had been here too. And Brenda, who had wanted to be here but couldn't - we'll get together again soon. Thanks to everyone who came and enjoyed the fish dishes. And to Sophia and sis-in law Shan for the offer of washing up. No worries there-we have able-bodied guys in this household, who I must give credit to for pitching in by doing the other stuff, while I was busy cooking etc.. Even little Iman helped out! "A good time was had by all."

Next post-Pictures of the people who were here.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Folks of 1980 College days, I am certainly owing you great apology for my failure to turn up last night. Down with slight fever after having visited the dentist, I thought it would be more prudent if I decline to come. I feared that you folks might contract fever as a result of my presence.

From the photographs that appear herein and the descriptions that accompanied the same, I must admit they were irresistible and proven beyond reasonble doubt that I had indeed missed the fun and fellowship of old comrades. Be that as it may, I know Podzykat will definitely organise another one especially for me in the very near future.

Podzykat, thanks for Tennyson's lines especially dedicated to me. I enjoy reading them but reserve my comment to a future date. I am still digesting Milton's Paradise Lost, in which I am now stuck at Book Three. The beautiful lines of Milton bring us back to the time when computer and its components was never known but the beauty had men not tasted something that was forbidden.

I saw GroovyTuai's comment in relation to those dishes that he had, perhaps, missed for very many years. I am just wondering if 'midin'(the correct term for it is 'kemiding')can ever be found
on the American soil. Perhaps GT can improvise something as subsitute,kind of midin imitation.

Before I am carried away too far or having to lick my finger, I just end here. Folks, next time we have another gathering, please include pansuh too, preferably, lampan jawa or kampong chicken.

Have a good day.

podgykat said...

Henry, you poor dear, hope you are feeling much better now. I know you would've been here otherwise-but I don't think we would've contracted the fever from your toothache!:) Just joking,ok! Kris Nyuak & son came, as did Sophia & her cutest daughter ever and our own businessman-of-the-year, Othman, my bro Arthur and family too. We waited and called your handphone to no avail.Now we know the reason why. A speedy recovery and yes, we'll try to include pansuh manok or ikan for the next gathering. You'd better be there!

GerubiTuai said...

yooohooo..Henry is still having toothie ache?!!Poohh pain beyond compare lah having toothie ache. Henry, yes sir I am guilty in that regard. Haven't had kemiding in years..four years to be exact! I was an eating fool the last time I came over! No replacement nya kaban. Podgee maam..hmmmm drooling...when I see food like that.

podgykat said...

Ya lah Henry, of all the times to have a bad toothache! Dunno how you can improvise on that one Groove. Maybe on some nature walk, you could try to source out some fern that closely resemles the "kemiding" of home! But be prepared for funny looks; even the kemiding that we eat at home here in Sarawak are not eaten by our counterparts in West Malaysia. But once they've tried it here some of them are hooked! Have a good weekend with the folks!

GerubiTuai said...

I am going without for now..don't want to take a chance lah. Masuk ER nanti ehh!! I'll stick to broccoli/cauliflower, green bean, and that 'bokchoy'-some kind of chinese cabbage and dried ikan pusu ehh. Podgee maam, I'll go a pick more kangkung from that Filipino family lah. Looking at those fishiee makes me want to go fishing..catching some catfish! Maybe this weekend for a couple of hours with my two sidekicks lah.