For my father
Father.
I am a woman today.
I stand,
bearing your likeness.
Remembering all that you
never were to me.
Father.
I am a woman today.
I stand here at your grave,
unable to contain,
this feeling of emptiness.
Father.
I'd like to see your face.
Not just in the mirror,
each day.
I'd like you to hold me
close.
And help me forget,
that I am a woman today.
Father.
All the years and yesterdays,
hold an empty space,
where you've belonged.
And I have my own
children now.
Father.
I stand here at your grave.
With no place left,
for my tears to fall.
Empty in the sorrow,
of your tragic death.
Father.
I am a woman today.
Bearing your likeness,
I stand.
Remembering all
that you never were to me.
Father.
Nora Laguna
Happy birthday Dad-you are missed everyday of our lives.







5 comments:
Podgee maam, nice piece of work. For some folks, like myself, who 'don't' have one.....hmmm we envy this kind of moment, and we kind of go on untraced really. A sad tale without any regret although the incompleteness is sometime felt. 'What might have been' has always been in the back of my mind..way too difficult to erase, but life doesn't end there. Some folks don't even realize how lucky they are and have been.
You folks have a nice weekend. Too unbearably hot here poooohhh.
Thanks Groove-I had a father but sadly didnot enjoy any time at all with him due to him being taken hostage and killed during the rebellion in Brunei,1962. I could barely walk then. But the sense of loss I carry with me throughout my life;many instances while growing up especially during trying episodes you wonder why was he "taken" so early when you need a father so badly. Only God can answer that I suppose..... My daughter just asked me if I was granted 3 wishes what would I want. My answer-1.My Daddy 2.My Daddy 3.My Daddy I know, I'm terrible-about time to grow up eh!
Podgee maam..everything happened for a reason..oddly enough for me..I have one, alive and hopefully still kickin', who doesn't give a hoot about nothing. He didn't when I was growing up anyway. Now, I don't really know..whatever his heart desires..I could careless, but ya..we know first hand how difficult life can be.
Groove, really sorry to hear about your experiences-being in somewhat similar situation, I can identify somewhat with what you went through. Yep, we sure know how we want to live our lives, don't we? Smother our children with the kind of love we never got right.... Hope your weekend's good inspite of the heat. There was a thunderstorm here earlier;not a good experience as I was out driving when it happened! Could barely see the roads, but made it home safely! Take care!
Yes maam, we sure do! More often than not, we showered them kids too much..and it's always 'I want' and 'I need' ahahahaha, but I am not complaining.
Post a Comment