Take 6-8 pieces of luscious,fleshy durian and deseed. Mash the flesh lightly with a fork. Take out a tub of the yummiest vanilla ice-cream you can find in your freezer, leave out for maybe 10-15 minutes. Then give everything a whirr in the blender for a few seconds. I dump everything in the "magimix" and just process for 10 seconds, the most. Pour the wonderful looking & smelling :) mixture into containers and refreeze for hmmmmm maybe 3-4 hrs, if you're able to resist that long, otherwise 2 meagre hours would be fine....
You should end up with something looking like this!

Then devour all ye who are durian lovers! The after smells could be wiped out by giving your meat-grinders a good double-brushing and some good swishing with an extra strength minty mouthwash! Just don't burp before!
*The "Marzuki" named in the recipe is to pay homage to the kindly gentleman who passed the recipe on to my mom... Thanks pakcik Marzuki, or is it your wife we should be thanking, since it was her who dreamed up the concoction in the first place? Hmmmm, so thanks mak cik, you whose name I do not know.. My entire family just loves the taste of this icecream. I'm going to try it with mango etc next... Try this out if you are brave/love durian enough!!!!!!






6 comments:
Poooooh this old goat haven't had durian in decades!!! I used to pick them fruits when I was a kid..loved every minute of it too.
You poor dear, only another asian would understand the love for this very smelly fruit-my white bro inlaw couldn't down even a little piece! This ice -cream I made the day before because my little girl had seen those hawkers selling some by the roadside and WANTED some! Still expensive lah because not many yet in the market. The dad had to fork out RM15 for a lousy fruit. Yhe brothers complained about the whole house stinking of durian, so I did what they loved best-turn the darn fruit into ice-cream! Stashed away in tubs in the freezer, no more smell- till you open the tub lah! but so "nyaman"-wish you could try some. Hopefully, next time when you guys come around here!
Honestly, I am not too fond of it, the ripe one. Manta one yes lah.. Picking them fruit..haiya..tahan all day if time permits. My folks called it the 'spiky fruit' that smells. My better half likes mild curry. My youngest son likes that noodle-kuehtiaw. I am the least picky one of the bunch! Hmmm Podgee maam..I have not seen the condition of them fruit trees at home. They have mentioned of them being very 'good' lah.
Haha, it is indeed a spiky fruit that smells-some say horribly so! It's always a thrill when we were young wasn't it-waiting for the fruits to ripen .. So we could go climbing, picking, eating etc! I can still remember climbing the rambutan trees my grandpa had planted. And picking mangoes as they fell in the early morning hours with my sister. I can even recall an incident where she was struck on the head by a falling mango! Ahhhh, the joys of our childhood, ya, Groove!
Excuse me, how dare you talk about my white father and not mention your half-white niece (the original princess of the family) in the process! I am deeply saddened at the thoughts of not being mentioned with my white father. I thought you liked me!
~Sarah, your niece that lives half-way around the world
p.s. I miss you!
A thousand apologies, my sweet half-white original princess, I was going to write a whole post about you but it looks like now that it has to be sooner than later! I don't like you;I LOOOOOOOOOOVE YOU, OK.... sweetie..
The distance is the only factor that prevents us from being in and out of each others' lives. Check out tomorrow's posting!!! Love you all;including that sis of mine whom I've not seen in 61/2 years. Wow, has it been that long?-Time to check on those lottery results!!!!!
Missing you guys too - LOTS. Thanks for visiting and leaving your lovely comments. :)
Post a Comment