
Stopped at the wet market very early this morning after dropping the Princess off at school and "handpicked" these greens myself!... Will grace the dinner table tonight as partners to some "umai" and other fresh fish that's still being caught off the coastal waters somewhere and will arrive with the MOTH at around 5pm. I'm sure my friend GroovyTuai across the Pacific still recognises stuff like "midin" and those ulam-ulam, which just grew in one's backyard those days! Those days are over now-we just "conveniently" go out and buy this stuff nowadays! :-)






5 comments:
The greens look lovely and fresh. Can I use dory for umai instead of tenggiri? Carrefour is having dory galore tomorrow. RM6.50 the first pack and RM3.50 for the second.
Maybe dory is too tasteless for umai, eh?
Hey Bergie,so you know how to eat umai. That's what I'm having tonight!And it's tenggiri! Kopi O gang coming over lah. You're right there-dory might be a tad too tasteless for umai. You know what's better,if you had really fresh black pomfret, that would be tastier and better than tenggiri any day! Trust me... Really give it a good scaling and scrap the skin really clean(don't puncture the skin, though)and give it a good wash. No clorox allowed, haha. Let dry thoroughly,then fillet off the bone(leave the skin on,it's tastier).Then slice the flesh at an angle with a really sharp knife, not too thinly but thin enough(make sense or no?). Chill if you like. I'll probably blog the sambal recipes tomorrow,when I take some pictures of the actual stuff. I'm almost done with the rest of the stuff, now for that much needed cuppa. Stop by soon if you like cooking!
Podgee maam..haiya..yes of course masih ingat them midin..I can taste it. Kangkung yes too..there's a converted Filipino family nearby having those green kangkung in their backyard! I picked them every now and then. I am craving for ikan masin and belacan, for all the things in the world ehhh. Say hello to them kopi o buddies.
Regards.
It's cool you can pick kangkung off someone's backyard - tastes great just stirfried with garlic too doesn't it? Do you have any asian stores around your area? My sis tried looking for some keropok in the asian stores at her place but couldn't find any-my niece was craving for some! She'll have some, come August when my cousin gets there! Said Hi to the gang from you last night, Othman and Sophia said they'll check out your blog soon. Nyuak remembers you too. Henry did a disappearing act on us... Brenda had a religious function to atttend. Check out the pics soon on my next posting!
Yes maam, we do have Asian stores nearby. Infact, my better half had to go on my behalf the other day to pick up some bottles of kichap and some more other stuff! I don't know if they have keropok or not..never look. I just remember Othman Baijuri as an athlete..Takraw player and footballer. Miss Sophia..yes I do remember her too. And of course Nyuak Bajok.
Post a Comment