Tuesday, November 27, 2007

My sis's thanksgiving recipes

I'd like to share with you some of my sister and family's (with her kind permission, of course) favourite thanksgiving recipes. My sis and family live in Virginia, USA and she tells me that this is the first year she tried brining the turkey before roasting; and the end result was just super. The roasted bird had skin that was nice and crisp(which my niece Sarah really, really enjoyed! :) ) and moist, tender meat. Here are the recipes and pics courtesy of my sister... Thanks sis. (I might even do the brining bit with chicken before roasting.) Hmm.


Maple Ginger Glazed Turkey
5 - 6 lb turkey breast, completely thawed.
Brine
1/2 gallon water
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons honey
1. Brine your turkey 12 - 24 hours before cooking it.
2. Into a large container pour the water, mix in the salt, sugar, honey and stir until everything is dissolved.
3. Place turkey breast in brine, cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator.
* You can double and triple the brine depending on how large your turkey is.
Preparation for Turkey
1/2 onion, cut into wedges
1 celery stalk, cut into half inch pieces
Salt
Pepper
1/4 cup melted butter
1. Remove turkey breast from brine. Pat dry with paper towels.
2. Salt and pepper outside and inside of turkey.
3. Place onion and celery pieces in cavity of turkey. Put turkey breast in a baking pan. Pour a cup of water around the turkey.
4. Brush the turkey with the melted butter. Roast in a 325 degree oven for 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Brush with remaining butter throughout the cooking process.
5. An hour before the turkey is done, start brushing it with the Maple Ginger glaze.
6. When turkey is done, remove from oven and let sit for 10 - 15 minutes before carving.
Maple Ginger Glaze
1/2 cup of butter
1/4 cup of real maple syrup (I use Vermont maple)
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add maple syrup and ginger and cook for about 2 - 3 minutes.
3. Start glazing the turkey an hour before it is done roasting.

Below is the stuffing recipe that my sis used,(another first too, she says) with some minor alterations. She grated the apples instead of chopping them and the result was a more moist stuffing.


Apple and Onion Stuffin' Muffins
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
1 stick butter, softened
1 fresh bay leaf, available in produce department
4 ribs celery and greens, from the heart, chopped (save time and purchase celery already washed, trimmed and cut into sticks, this makes chopping fast work)
1 medium to large yellow skinned onion, chopped
3 McIntosh apples, quartered and chopped
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
8 cups cubed stuffing mix (recommended: Pepperidge Farm)
2 to 3 cups chicken stock, available in paper containers on the soup aisle

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil to skillet and 4 tablespoons butter. When butter melts, add bay leaf and add the vegetables as you chop them, celery, onions then apples. Sprinkle the vegetables and apples with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Cook 5 to 6 minutes to begin to soften vegetables and apples then add parsley and stuffing cubes to the pan and combine. Moisten the stuffing with chicken broth until all of the bread is soft but not wet.

Butter 12 muffin cups, 2 tins, liberally with remaining butter. Use an ice cream scoop to fill and mound up the stuffing in muffin tins. Remove the bay leaf as you scoop the stuffing when you come upon it. Bake until set and crisp on top, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove stuffin' muffins to a platter and serve hot or room temperature.



Green Bean Casserole



1 can (10 3/4 oz) Campbell's cream of mushroom soup
1/2 can of milk
2 cans (14 oz each) cut green beans, drained
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups French fried onions

1. Empty mushroom soup into a mixing bowl. Use can and measure out 1/2 a can of milk and mix in with soup. Add soy sauce and pepper and mix well.

2. Add beans and 3/4 cup of French fried onions to mixture and mix well.

3. Pour into a casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

4. Remove from oven and add the remaining onions around rim of casserole. Return to oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes until onions are golden brown.


Sweet Potato Casserole ( another favourite side-dish)



1 1/2 lb sweet potato, cut into even cubes
4 Tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon Allspice
Large marshmallows

1. Steam the cubed sweet potatoes until soft. Set aside to cool slightly.

2. Mash the sweet potatoes with a hand masher until fairly smooth (lumps are allowed!). Add butter, sugar and spice and mix well.

3. Beat egg and add to sweet potato mixture, stirring well.

4. Pour in buttered casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

5. Remove from oven, top with marshmallows, leaving a small edge around sweet potato mixture uncovered because the marshmallows will puff up.

6. Return to oven and bake for an additional 5 - 10 minutes depending on how brown you want your marshmallows to be.

*I do hope my friend Sophia gets to check these recipes out. I know shed like to try the turkey recipe for Xmas. So Soph, this is for you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

He,he,he ... I'm getting hungry all over again! It's on to Christmas cookies now. I'm going to a cookie exchange at a friend's house this Sunday but I haven't even decided on what I will be baking. I am going to spend a nice leisurely morning tomorrow drinking Earl Grey tea and looking through my recipes.

I'll send you what I make ... the pictures and recipes that is :-)

Bergen said...

I should have known better; never never never come to this blog before dinner. Oh how can you be so cruel..he he...

I'd better have me a missus this weekend so she can cook 5 turkeys and I can take pictures and send them to you and see if you'd be as hungry and angry as I am. LOL.

Gurau ye, ma'am.

Have a nice time with your family this weekend, ma'am. It rains here in the city.

Ruis Jugah said...

prissy..you oways make me feel hungry hah..

podgykat said...

TOPM, pls do share the recipes!! I've a promise to keep over the weekend; like I told you, Johann's friend Aniq has been throwing broad hints that he misses my beef patties and that no one makes it like I do etc... that I've decided to have them kids over for dinner saturday night. There's more requests; will blog what I make with pics!

Bergen, my dear - joke all you want, no offence taken; all with a pinch of salt eh. ;) I hope you get lucky in your weekend quest and end up with that someone that your heart desires and she cooks you the five turkeys so you can take those pics and send them to me to make me all hungry and angry that I want to climb the walls!!! haha.
Thanks for dropping by; you have a good weekend too yourself. DON"T PLAY IN THE RAIN!! :D

Wis, oh Wis; you are back and so's your blog but seems not able to leave any comments! Sengaja ke or ?? Hope you update yr blog often, so can stay in touch. Hope you get hungrier withthe above post that you'll do some cooking over the weekend for the family! Cheers, my friend.

Anonymous said...

What did Papa use to say? "A hungry man is an angry man" -- every now and then he would come up with a gem like this.

I miss the grandparents ... must be that time of the year :-(

podgykat said...

TOPM, yes he did indeed - and whenever nanny had fish curry going on the stove, he'd sing a line from the ditty-"fish curry very hot my darling"........ Ahh, those memories, making me so melancholic. It's the time of the year that brings on this great sense of missing our loved ones who are no longer here. The feelings are swirling around in our hearts and beings. How thankful we are that we had them in our lives; the good times and bad. The memories live on. Ehh,,, better stop, waterworks threatens to spillover!

Anonymous said...

'Tis all right ... I had my moments today. I remember the good and am grateful for that.

OK, OK, now I am really going off to bed.