I made this for dinner sometime last month because Kasmady, a friend of my son Jeremy thoroughly enjoyed this dish when he was over at our place one day. I promised that I'd make it for him when he got back for the holidays and that is what I did.. And we had fun eating off banana leaves - just to get that authentic indian feel! this is also one of the dishes my mum enjoyed cooking. She also did it with beef, but hers was less fiery than the version I do nowadays. The kids say the hotter, the better!
Our family also enjoys lamb vindaloo, and this is the recipe I normally use. The only change I made is substituting the lamb with chicken.
Lamb/Chicken Vindaloo
3 lbs boneless lamb, plus 3 meaty lamb bones OR substitute with chicken pieces
3 meaty lamb bones
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons tamarind pulp
salt to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 big white onion
6 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons fresh ginger root
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 cups onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground mustard
3 teaspoons turmeric
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 -3 tablespoons ground dried chillies, or more if you like it fiery
hot water
Cut lamb into 3/4" cubes. Place lamb and the bones(or the chicken pieces) in a non metallic bowl with the oil, vinegar, tamarind and salt. Marinade at room temperature for 8 hours, or refrigerated for at least 24 hours.
Put two tablespoons oil, onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor and puree.
Heat 1/2 cup oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until they are caramel brown, stirring constantly to avoid burning. Add the puree. Reduce the heat and add cumin, mustard, turmeric, ground chiillies and cinnamon. When the spices begin to sizzle and turn dark (about 15 seconds), add the lamb and bones(or chicken); reserve the marinade. Cook until slightly seared (about 10 minutes). Add water to the marinade to make 2 1/2 cups liquid; add to pan and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, until meat is very tender. Chicken would cook in a shorter time than the lamb. Maybe 30-40 minutes should do it.
Pick out and discard the lamb bones(don't do this with the chicken pieces though) and serve over rice.
I'll try to share recipes for the side-dishes soon. I've got another batch of boys with big appetites coming over for dinner tomorrow night! In the offing is beef patties/burger and lamb chop. It has been requested this time by Johann's friend, Aniq who can't stop dreaming about these beef patties since he had it at Iman's birthday dinner in June!! And the other requested items are potato salad, creamy sweet onion(to go on those beefburgers),and homemade burger buns..
It's off to the kitchen again for me; will be back with more pics and recipes. Soon :)






2 comments:
Mango raita is a good idea. Do you need to still have to add the lemon juice, or do you depend on the mango for the sourish taste? I haven't had this and already it's making me excited. Vindaloo is a grand dish, ma'am.
Is there a way for me to go the National Registration Department to be part of your family so I can just drop whenever I sense you're in the kitchen? LOL.
If only life is that simple. LOL. You cook good stuff, ma'am.
Yup, the mango raita went well with the fiery vindaloo. The mangoes I used were pretty sweet so I did add the lemon juice to balance out the flavours some. To up the yummy factor, add in some chopped onions, chillies and coriander leaves. I left the chillies out of mine becasue the vindaloo was chilly hot.
Ehh, I think that there's practically no barriers to adult adoption nowadays.. so we still have hope there!?? Haha.
Sometimes in this complicated life, small mercies are what keeps us going and looking forward to another day... Thank you for your visit and kind words, you have a good evening now.
Post a Comment