Thursday, November 29, 2007

Mum's "tenderised" beef in soya sauce


My version of mum's beef dish; also called "daging ketuk" by my son Johann

Growing up, this dish had got to be one of the favourites of all times in our household. We would request for it time and again and my mum would happily oblige us whenever she could. This dish is full on homeliness taste due to the simple ingredients involved; only soya sauce, salt, pepper and sugar is used. No fancy-wancy ingredient is involved. Uh, uh, nossir... Not even onion or garlic; believe me! The secret lies in the preparation and the way it's cooked.

Nowadays this dish ranks high on the list of favourites for all of my mum's grandchildren! For the daughters-in law who cook, my mum taught them how to prepare this dish herself and for the daughters-in law who don't cook due to time/career constraints, my mum taught their 'bibiks' how to do it. And as for the daughters, we learnt by observing her at work and now whenever I cook this dish for my kids, I say a silent prayer of thanks to my mum for teaching me how to cook with passion and love. The two most important ingredients that make any food taste good!


The recipe

750 g of beef (adjust the amount if you want-this is how much I had in the freezer!)
1/4 cup of soya sauce- also adjust accordingly to taste/amount of beef used ( I used the "ayam" brand, my mum would've used the "mushroom" brand from China, as I recall)
1-2 tbps granulated sugar ( I sometimes substitute with brown; just as tasty
little salt
freshly ground pepper

  1. Slice the beef into 1/4 inch thick slices about 3" x 2" in length. Lay a few pieces on a board and with the back of a cleaver tenderise the meat by bashing away at it, with a medium touch; not too strong of a whack or you'll end up with minced meat! After you're satisfied that that side has received enough of a bashing, turn to the other side and bash some more, :). You still want to have the pieces of meat intact in slices; but tears are welcomed. Not to worry about that, :D
  2. Place all the seasonings in a bowl big enough to hold all the meat and coat the slices with this mixture. It won't be very liquidy; it's meant to be like that. Leave aside for awhile; go make yourself a cup of coffee or tea.
  3. When you're done with your cuppa, take out your saucepan or wok; whatever you're comfortable with, pour in some oil; probably about 3/4 of a cup. Heat it up nice.
  4. Once oil is hot enough; make sure you've got the fire on medium (you don't wanna burn/overcaramelise the soya sauce and end up with bitter-tasting beef) fry beef in batches for maybe 5 - 7 minutes only. The beef is really tender from all that bashing, so there's no need to overcook- you want tender juicy pieces, baby!
  5. After frying each batch, you'll notice that the residual oil is taking on a dark, caramelly hue and smells oh-so heavenly; that means you're doing things right...
  6. when all the beef has been fried, just add a little water to the remains in the pan or wok or whatever and adjust the seasonings NOW. When you're satisfied, add all the beef back in at once and with a turn or two of your ladle, it's done.
  7. Dish up and serve. Garnish as I have done (in the pic above) with fried cashewnuts and fresh coriander and serve over white rice as I did for dinner.
For leftovers the next day, you could do what I did and serve it like this:-


In a bagel for lunch with some lettuce, tomato and sliced fresh button mushroom! Hardly needed any other dressing. YUmmmmms.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember! I remember! This was one of the first dishes I learned to cook and it is still one of my favourites.

Looking back now, it seems that most of what Mum made for us was really simple but delicious ... perhaps it was the love that went into it.

I have to go now and have my lunch of salmon and saltines ... yummm (not!).

I'm off to make the Princess a batch of Rice Krispie Treats -- she has to work this afternoon so she will be dashing in from school, changing into work clothes, grabbing a snack and then going off to work. Still can't get over the fact that my child is working.

More later ...

demonsinme said...

Madam PJ:

Forgive me that it took me a long while to visit your blog.

But, I'm glad that I finally made it here, as the first thing that I see is that sumptous daging ketuk.

How was the Eid? I hope and never cease pray that you and family be in good health always.

A gift from my latest entry -

THE LOUDNESS OF SILENCE

Child,

if you keep pacing the mile,
this world will show its wild,
where one's thirst be quenched only by bile,
sieve from the Pharaohs' Nile,
and only tears be the pillars of a smile,
a smile paved by guile.

But Child,

if you stop and sit for a while,
and takes breaths that ever so mild,
you would see trough all of the lies,
that hid the colors of a butterfly,
freeing the world's inner cry,
a cry that bring tears to Gabriel's eye.

And Child,

listen ever so carefully to that cry,
listen to the loudness that has never shy,
listen as it comes from a heart that you could not buy,
listen so that you would know why,
listen so that your tears would dry,
listen so that you know the bed where the world lie.

And find the loudness of silence in you and I.

Bergen said...

Alamak, I made the mistake again, coming here before breakfast. I to check on that turkey if it's half eaten or if there's leftover to make turkey sandwich. Tiba-tiba ada daging ketuk, some more your Mom's recipe.

Okay, I've decide to marry 4 women first thing tomorrow morning so I can buy me a cow to ketuk-ketuk until it becomes daging ketuk.

You have a nice now, ma'am. Gosh, I've never seen this many home coooked meal in less than 15 minutes.

Anonymous said...

OK, while Bergen is looking for those four women to marry, I shall be baking my cookies and writing my Christmas cards :-)

I stopped by again because I was thinking about that battered shrimp that Mum used to make ... do you remember? It was really simple ... I think it just had flour, salt, pepper and spring onions in the batter. If you can recreate ... I would appreciate it since shrimp is still something that I can eat.

I probably should try creating it but I will be the only one to eat my "mistakes" ... you have more willing souls.

I'm off to bed now since it is midnight.

podgykat said...

TOPM, I was sure you'd remember this and also the chicken pie that she made on special occasions and more. Is that child of yours enjoying work?
Rice Krispie treats; hmm something we would enjoy when we were younger, right?


DIM, how very nice of you to make this journey to my blog and to be greeted by daging ketuk some more, hehe. Who could ask for more right? Eid was good, though tinged with sadness; our first without my mum. Hope yours was good. A lovely poem, thanks for sharing. Take care and do stop by again when time, ok.

Bergen, now it's four women you want to marry all at once; wasn't it five a little while ago?? Haha.But a cow would suffice, methinks; if only you weren't fickle about the number of wives.... LOL. Really nice of you to have stopped by,see you again soon. :)

podgykat said...

TOPM, of course I remember that battered shrimp mum used to make. It was one of Arthur's favourites, I remember that he even requested it for his wedding dinner! Yes, she used all those ingredients that you mentioned. Self-raising flour was what made that lovely coating fluff up when fried. I will try to recreate soon for you. Meantime, enjoy baking those cookies and writing those cards; reminds me that I should be writing mine too! XXX