Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Yet another like no other, Chocolate Cake!


That's not many who can resist a slice of this moist chocolate cake; I was given this recipe by a sister-in-law. But it was her sister's recipe which she had obtained from a friend who probably got it from another friend....I'm just a sucker for this "friendship baking circle" kind of cakes and to continue the cycle I' m sharing the recipe here. It had been awhile since I had used this recipe but recalling earlier triumphs had me digging into my recipe files when a friend requested my help in baking her something for Chinese New Year. It's an incredibly moist cake and if you're brave enough use the exact amounts of sugar ( I normally cut back slightly) you'll end up with a cake reminiscent of a fudgy brownie. Ahhhh, what could be more decadent and heart-warming?? I'd like to share this cake; albeit virtually with my good friend Bergen a fellow foodie and AFC channel enthusiast who has accorded me a lovely mention on his blog. This one's for you, Bergen.

Could you resist a morsel so moist?

Moist Chocolate-Brownie Cake

8 ounces butter
2 ounces good quality baking cocoa
12 ounces flour
4 large eggs
16 ounces sugar
1 teaspoon soda bicarbonate
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
15 ounces of hot water


  1. Using electric mixer, cream butter and sugar in a large bowl till light and fluffy.
  2. Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  3. Sift flour, salt, soda and baking powder together. Lower speed of mixer and fold flour into egg mixture gradually.
  4. Dilute cocoa in the hot water and add to the flour mixture in a slow but steady stream.
  5. Pour into a greased and lined ( or greased and floured-you can also use sifted cocoa powder instead of flour, works really well) and bake in a moderate oven 170 deg. C for 45-50 minutes. Since I bake using a fan-forced oven with top and bottom grilles, I notice that it helps to lay a piece of foil over the top in the last few minutes of baking; especially when the sides look like they're done but the centre's still kind of wet/too moist. That way the cake cooks just nice and doesn't dry out.

2 comments:

Bergen said...

Thought I checked in here before breakfast. Big mistake. Big big mistake.

Thinking seriously of migrating to Kuching. hehe

podgykat said...

:) glad you did, cos this one's for you. Real easy to bake too; just don your apron and get a-going!

Nice days always