For you, sis
Frangipanni Cake
4 ozs sugar
4 ozs margarine/butter
2 egg yolks, beaten lightly
2 egg whites
4 ozs self-raising flour
3 tbsps milk
1/2 tsp vanilla esssence
grated rind of 1 orange
2 ozs coconut
1 tbsp sugar
Cream margarine/butter and sugar. Add beaten egg yolks, flour, milk, essence and grated orange rind. Mix well then pour into a greased and floured cake tin.
Beat egg whites to a stiff froth, add the tablespoon of sugar, beat again. Fold in the coconut and spread this on top of the cake mixture. Bake in a moderate oven for 3/4 - 1 hour.
Wow, while going through this recipe again, I swear I could almost taste that coconut meringue upon me poor ole tongue!!! The proportions make for a small cake; just nice for try-outs back then.. I'd double it for sure if I were to make one now; which may be sooner than I thought!
4 ozs sugar
4 ozs margarine/butter
2 egg yolks, beaten lightly
2 egg whites
4 ozs self-raising flour
3 tbsps milk
1/2 tsp vanilla esssence
grated rind of 1 orange
2 ozs coconut
1 tbsp sugar
Cream margarine/butter and sugar. Add beaten egg yolks, flour, milk, essence and grated orange rind. Mix well then pour into a greased and floured cake tin.
Beat egg whites to a stiff froth, add the tablespoon of sugar, beat again. Fold in the coconut and spread this on top of the cake mixture. Bake in a moderate oven for 3/4 - 1 hour.
Wow, while going through this recipe again, I swear I could almost taste that coconut meringue upon me poor ole tongue!!! The proportions make for a small cake; just nice for try-outs back then.. I'd double it for sure if I were to make one now; which may be sooner than I thought!






2 comments:
Thank you! Thank you! I am going to double the recipe when I make it. You are right, the original makes for a small cake -- probably enough for six single servings.
If I had to guess, I'd say we probably used fresh coconut -- that would have given it a better flavour.
I'm going to substitute lemon for the orange. I have done a lemon-coconut combinatiion with a bar cookie and it was a hit. I think it will work well here.
John is off to Texas this Sunday. I think I will do some baking.
When you do bake this lovely cake, let me have the pics so I can update onto this post, ok? I'm all for the lemon too.
Enjoy the weekend baking! We should reproduce that cold custard dessert with the biscuit base that we used to make, too. Won't that be something!
Post a Comment