Thursday, February 21, 2008

Another bummer & something cool to soothe an angry soul

Yesterday morning I was up bright and early and looking forward to preparing breakfast when I encountered an early morning bummer - none of the gas hobs would ignite!! Puzzling. I knew that the night before when I was preparing dinner the flames had been bright and strong and since it was a new-purchased gas canister, it couldn't have been empty..So?? On a whim, I decided to open the window and check it out; yes my fears were confirmed, the idiots are at it again; there was a void where the canister should've been. Some stupid-a**es had made off with it. Stolen. Again. For the third time.

Geramnya! I feel like taking my ladle to their stupid, blinking behinds. And I tell you I've been known to put a ladle through a wok!! Well, that was during my "temperamental cook /pre-anger management days," hehe.. Don't do that kind of stuff anymore. But these sorry-a**ses just get to me. Yesterday at the gym, a lady there told me that exactly the same thing had happened to her gas canisters time and again, until they decided enough was enough. They went and had a grilled-housing installed to keep their canisters safe. And not only that she says, one night thieves made off with a whole set of wrought iron furniture that was in their garden!! Pathetic, isn't it? And so "menyakitkan hati" knowing that your lovely furniture will be sold off as scrap by these slimy creatures. Blinking thieves!!

I had to resort to frying Iman some noodles in the microwave. Thank goodness it turned out alright; when she came home she told me that she had shared some with a couple of her friends and they said it tasted good.. Ok, that was soothing to hear.

To soothe my angry soul further, I've decided to post that elusive panna cotta recipe and pic that I said I would a few postings ago!!

Pic taken by Joe ( guess who's in the background? Hehe)



Again, I got this recipe off the advert page of the Australian Women's Weekly. Since I had that particular brand of coconut cream they were advertising in stock (oops, my little cooking secrets!) and had yogurt and frozen strawberries (sadly, not fresh) in the fridge and freezer respectively, I thought I'd give this yummy sounding panna cotta a go. Refreshing. Give it a try.

Strawberry and Coconut Panna Cotta

270ml can coconut cream
1/2 cup warm water
4 tbsp sugar
3 tsp gelatine
1 tsp vanilla essence
400g tub strawberry yogurt
300g fresh strawberries

Combine water, sugar and gelatine in heatproof jug and microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Whisk together the mixture, vanilla,coconut cream and yoghurt until smooth. (I added some crushed strawberries to the mixture with excellent results). Pour into 1/2 cup moulds and refrigerate until set. Serve with strawberries. Serves 8.






It was lovely, yummy and cool. Just the thing to serve for dessert in our tropical heat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks so good! yummmm....eleanor would love this, she likes strawberries that one hehehe.

how did they manage to come in? isn't it scary? time for you to lock up your canister. i hope you cursed them good and proper hehehe

now i'm so hungry again...just looking at these photos makes me hungry hehehe

podgykat said...

It was good, Joyce! If only fresh strawberries were not so expensive *sigh* That little sweet baby, she likes strawberries, eh. Miss her lots.

I did curse them something pretty good! Hope they're dead by now, hehe!

Stop by again, lots more food coming up!