I improvised on a recipe and came up with this scrumptious Fizzy Apple Pound Cake, which she loved.
Fizzy Apple Pound Cake
3 cups all purpose flour, sifted
5 large eggs
3 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened (no substitutions)
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup fizzy apple drink (or 7 Up or some other lemon lime soda - whatever you fancy, really)
Preheat oven to 170 deg. centigrade. Grease 12 cup bundt pan or just any 9 inch cake pan.
Combine flour & salt in bowl.
Place rest of ingredients except fizzy soda in a large mixer bowl, beat at medium speed until light and fluffy, scraping sides occassionally, 5 minutes. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and soda alternately, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
Bake 1 to 1 1/2 hrs or until a cake pick/toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Invert onto wire rack, remove pan and cool completely.
16 servings. (large cake) Give away some to your neighbours, friends, colleagues!






2 comments:
Looks good. I have some sparkling cider and I think that will be good in this cake. Am home with TOP who is not feeling well ... the usual. So, after my electronic shift, I shall do some baking.
Do you have a bundt pan? Let me know if you do not and I will send you one through Mum. I love those pans.
Hope Iman feels better. And am keeping my fingers crossed for Johann and AFD's princess.
TOP will take the SATs in June. Universities use the scores as a means of determing acceptance and since she is going into a highly competitive program, she has to do well. Email me as soon as you know ...
Iman seems to be doing alright these past couple of days. She's extremely happy that school breaks for a whole week or ten days if you count the weekends.
I think the sparkling cider will work-the cake rose pretty well without any baking soda/powder. Guess the fizzy soda did the trick. Am going to do another variation of this cake on Monday this time with frosting, to celebrate whatever results Johann brings home! :-) he loves thick frosting!
Will let you know once Johann gets his results - since he has his driving licence now, he says he'll drive himself to school bright & early!
Post a Comment