Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Chocolate Mud Cake For Johann

A week before his exam results were due I told Johann I would bake a cake to celebrate. His response - "what if I don't do well ?" Meaning he might not get the cake otherwise, I guess. Silly boy, like he didn't know his mom. Pass or fail, he'll still get the cake and be loved & hugged & kissed... Ok, maybe the cake would be smaller in size, hahahaha. Joking. This is the cake I made for him, his favourite kind. Chocolate mudcake, frosted with choc ganache and sprinkled with crushed pistachios.


Here's the recipe

35g cocoa powder
80ml boiling water
150g dark eating chocolate, melted
150g butter, melted
265g firmly packed brown sugar
50g self-raising flour
120g almond or hazelnut meal
4 eggs, separated
1. Preheat oven to moderate (180 deg. C/160 deg C, fan-forced). Grease a deep 19cm square/round cake pan,line base and sides with baking paper.
2. Combine cocoa and the boiling water in a large bowl, stir until smooth. Add chocolate,butter, sugar and sifted flour then almond meal; stir until combined. Stir in egg yolks, one at a time.
3. Beat egg whites in a clean, small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; fold into chocoalte mixture in two batches. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
4. Bake in a moderate oven for about 1 hour 15 minutes or until firm to the touch. Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes, turn top side up onto wire rack to cool. Frost with chocolate ganache.
Chocolate Ganache
200g dark eating chocolate
125 ml thickened cream

Bring cream to a boil in a small saucepan; pour over chocolate in a small bowl;stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Stand until ganache is of a spreadable consistency. Spread over cake and if liked, sprinkle crushed pistachios over. Enjoy. This is a lovely moist and dense choccy cake....


And yes, Johann did well. He obtained a Grade 1. And he loved the cake :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Johann ... good job! On to the next phase of his life ... may there be many more chocolate cakes in it!

Unknown said...

Congratulations and warm wishes to Johann. And thank you for being such a nice and sweet host when we were there. I'm sure your mother is proud to have you as a son.

Anonymous said...

Aunty Evie- Thanks for the wishes..Dont i get any pressies? heheh :)

Aunty Zuleika- It was a pleasure meeting all of you here and wish u could stay longer :) thanks for the wishes too. I hope she is. hehehehe..

podgykat said...

Hi my dears, thanks for stopping by. Haven't updated in awhile -due to busyness and also catching up with old school buddies on our new web portal. little fun to stay young at heart!

Chica, nest time, we'll let the hubbies loose on the golf course while we do our gals thing, ok? The kids-we'll find a good babysitter for them, then we can enjoy each other's company with no guilty feelings! It was so good to have you all here; make sure you have another visit in your future holiday plans! Remind Jimi, please. Tell him he can try out our Arnorld Palmer golf course ;)

Joe-of course I'm proud of you; we all are-your dad too. You manjakats. Love you lots. Don't grow up too fast; slow down a bit, hehehe.

Anonymous said...

Hi Johann ... send your list through Nana. I hear she is plannin on bringing two suitcases ... got to fill them up! Your mum might have her own list too but I'm sure that we will manage a pressie or two for you.

podgykat said...

Hey TOPM - she wants the big suitcase you sent stuff with thru dear ole Ray, ok.ooops, i mean young Ray (don't want to offend his highness). I'm still compiling my list and of course Johann would be very happy with a couple of jars of that lovely grape jelly!

Anonymous said...

Yes, the young old man ... he, he, he. Just warn our mother that there is a weight limit for luggage! I've been my eye out for goodies for everyone :-)

Anonymous said...

Goodies for everyone??.

Did I forget to mention that I had to lug 100 tonnes of stuff for the folks at home, now I want goodies... Time to make Mummy aka my Aunt Cil work. LOL!!!

I want chocs!!!.

Tell TOP that my friend has gotten her another rather colourful purse. Is there anything you want from here TOPM?, tea perhaps?. :).
Let me know k.

Johann, great job, cheating always works... hahahahahahaha. kidding.

Very busy here.

Anonymous said...

Would I forget you, Ray? You are on the list too ... chocs it is (might have a surprise or two ... wink, wink).

I'm still good for tea ... you brough me plenty. Still enjoying it several times a week -- all brewed properly in a china teapot.

Will tell the bag lady of Beligium ... er... TOP about the purse. That's awfully sweet of her.

Better run ... I am at the desk.