Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Our evening in Bung Sande'


A cosy outdoor nook at the home of my sis & family


My youngest sister invited us over to her home on Saturday evening for some "makan-makan." My brother in law is a Bidayuh; at one time they were called the land dayaks,to distinguish them from their close cousins, the sea-faring ibans who were known as sea dayaks. They are more commonly known as just bidayuhs & ibans now.


My sister and family live in a place called Penrissen which is about a 40 minute drive from where we live. We took a nice leisurely evening drive into hilly terrrains. Even their house is built on a hill known as Bung Sande'-pronounced "sandy" I think. Such a lovely and tranquil place. They've got squirrels darting about on the trees, fish and frogs in the pond, crickets & birds,happily chirping away. Durian and langsat trees surrounding the house - now you know why it's so darned hard o drag Iman home each time we visit!

My brother-in law is one enterprising man; in between holding down a full-time job, he has a small grocery store and cafe-like thing going at home, to cater for the kampung-folks. It's a nice cosy set-up.The grocery store and the cafe are built as a sort of extension to the family home. The folks from the surrounding areas come here to socialise in the evenings while sipping coffee. (sometimes even stronger stuff, namely - moonshine or langkau as it is known in their language, he he) It's what poitin is to the Irish! Contains some 80 percent alcohol, I'm sure, haha. Dare you take a swig?!!

Check out this pic-something illegal going on here, hahaha. My bro Arthur couldn't resist taking a swig! Pic's s little blur; not because I had any of the brew,(I'm extremely allergic to the stuff) more because I was laughing at the 'body language!


Here's one of my Johann taking a closer look at the moonshine-that's all he was allowed! :-)



My BIL & sis had just completed an outdoor kitchen to cater for the cafe's cooking and had a small do to celebrate. We had a good time; especially the kids. Being in a very country sort of atmosphere made it all the more exciting for the kids-Iman & cousin Ben had so much fun running around chasing fireflies and plucking unripe oranges off the trees ( I know!) It was the excitement of seeing fruits actually still hanging on the branches instead of in a shop.




With Sis in law & younger sis

Johann posing cheekily in the village grocery store of Bung Sande'

The cheerful faces of the cousins- Ben, Iman, Razman & Jazril

This is the "speckled" agar-agar dessert I made to take along to my sis's.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first and the last pictures do not display. I will log in from home this evening and see if it is an access issue on my end or whether your fingers were unsteady from all the moonshine you are supposedly allergic to :-)

Sounds like everyone had a good time ... wish I was there (sigh, sigh).

Thank you for posting the pics!

Anonymous said...

Yes supposed allergy indeed!. Bet she was taking swigs when no one was looking. hahahahaha.

podgykat said...

Hahaha, you guys. Hic, Hic..... TOPM, Hope all the pics appeared for you. Will pay the old courthouse a visit for you soon. I always avoid that part of Kuching nowadays,(pickpockets haven) but would be fun to go and take some nice touristy shots! Hopefully soon.

Raybans, that stuff is just way toooo strong. Bet you would eagerly take a swig though and be in a very happy chirpy mood after!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, maybe Ray can have some during Gawai. That stuff will probably rot your insides!

What a shame about the Courthouse area ... next time I come for a visit, I'd like to go there. The number of times I walked by it as a teenager and never even realized that Rodway had opened it and had his office in the building. Cruickshank was supposed to come from Sibu to open the Courthouse on June 3, 1874, but something must have happened at the last minute because Rodway ended up doing the honours. He delivered the speech in Malay and the Sarawak Gazette gave an English translation and it is one of my favourite pieces. It says as much about him as it did about the Rajah.

Everytime I get back into Rodway research, I just have this overwhelming liking for the man. Something about him speaks to me ... must be call of the blood.