
My youngest sis texted me yesterday to say that she'd be dropping by today. I made this kueh to share with her over coffee and a little gossip! This is a traditional malay/indonesian kueh (cake) made with glutinous rice, palm sugar and coconut milk. It's mostly enjoyed at tea-time or with coffee in the mornings. This is one of the kuehs that my mom would make often for us; she told us that it used to be my one of my dad's favourite local kueh too.
Here's the recipe:-
500g glutinous rice, soaked a couple of hours in water and drained (I didn't!, so It took longer to steam!) :)
400ml coconut cream (fresh or canned - pick your guess on what was my choice!)
Pandan/screwpine leaves (for fragrance), 3-4, knotted and shred the ends
250g palm sugar -gula melaka or similar (I used 50 gms of gula melaka and 200g of gula apong, a local palm sugar that is sold in a more softer/fluid form than gula melaka. I like the more "lemak" taste of this sugar compared to the rock solid gula melaka.
teeny pinch of salt, if liked. (I like!)
- Line a square 8inch/25cm baking pan with banana leaf.
- Steam drained glutinous rice for at least 30 minutes, or until cooked. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the coconut cream, screwpine leaves sugars in a pan.
- Stir continuously over medium heat until mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Add in the cooled glutinous rice and stir until rice is well-coated with the mixture and is no longer too wet. Once most of the moisture has been absorbed by the rice, turn off heat.
- Discard the screwpine leaves and pour mixture into the prepared pan. Press the mixture down with a spoon/fork until surface is nice and level.
- Cool several hours before cutting to serve.

Here's what it looks like, traditionally cut up into diamond-shapes, ready to serve.






2 comments:
Sigh, sigh ... I am hungry again. I can almost taste it ... it has a robust flavour without being overwhelmingly sweet (if done right).
I remember Mum telling us that it was one of dad's favourites too. Now that I think about it, eventhough our father was gone, Mummy kept him alive for us in so many ways, didn't she? She slipped those little details in so seamlessly, that they have become part of our memories. Good old Mum.
Hope you had a good gossip. My ears were not burning, so it must not have been able me :-)
Yup, this version of mine does not contain granulated/rock sugars like some recipes, so it's not overly sweet; I would say sweet enough, hehe.
Yes, there are many foods that she would cook and let us know that they were his favourites; definitely her way of keeping him alive in her life/thoughts. And most definitely so we could "relate" to him in the other sense by all those little revelations. I do the same with the kids nowadays. "Your nana's favourite, your grandpa's favourite as told to us by nana" etc....
No, not gossiping about you, hehe. We had a good little chat over coffee and the kueh about everyday things and also missing mum, kids, idiots stealing my gas canister again on sunday evening, just after I was done cooking dinner, would you believe that?!! Bloody b******s!!
Post a Comment