Friday, March 14, 2008

German Chocolate Cake


(my sis' German Chocolate Cake - looks lovely, doesn't it? I bet it tasted great too!)



I received this deliciously decadent recipe from my sis in the mail. She explains that the cake did not originate from Germany as one would imagine but from the name of the man who invented the chocolate. I told her I would try out this cake only when I've reached my desired body weight!! More work-outs at the gym then before I even dare dream of baking this cake! Hopefully my will-power will hold out long enough; you'll hear about it on this blog otherwise! Hehehe.


Recipe:
4 eggs, separated
1 package (4 oz) German sweet chocolate ( or milk chocolate)

1/2 cup water
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk

Coconut-pecan frosting :
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/2 cup butter
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 13-in x 9-in x 2-in baking pa with waxed paper. Grease and flour the paper; set aside.
2. In a saucepan, melt chocolate in water over low heat; cool. In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add chocolate mixture and vanilla, mix well.
3. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
4. In a small mixing bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
5. Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 50 - 55 mins or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 mins before inverting on a wire rack to cool completely. Remove waxed paper.

Frosting:
1. Combine the milk, sugar, egg yolks and butter in a large saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in coconut, pecans and vanilla. Beat until frosting is cool and achieves spreading consistency. Frost top and sides of cold cake.

No comments: