Thursday, June 15, 2006

Welcome to my front porch garden......


Come on in and take a peek-this is where I spend precious moments with my daughter Iman in the mornings. Though it's on the swing that we always huddle together on! This is what my plants looked like after I did lots of replanting/repotting. They've all grown steadily now. I think Prince Charles got it all wrong when he said talking to your plants helps them grow or something to that effect.It's more the tender loving care you dole out that helps them grow-removing dead/dying foliage so that the new foliage can thrive better. You'll be blessed with lush results if you do. TLC Charles, plain old TLC! That's why, that man never learned-enough of blaming poor Camilla lah. Hehe. But whether you talk to your plants or not, I feel I just can't live in a house without plants! Maybe that's because I've never lived in a house without plants. My maternal grandmother & grandfather both possessed green thumbs. She planted orchids, flowers and various green plants around the house; he planted over thirty rambutan trees of different varities around the house compound.And a couple of durian trees that never bore any fruits! Come fruit season, we, the grandkids were the happiest! My mother too is good with plants; whenever she's around, somehow my plants look more lively! I just love fragrant plants and ones that attract butterflies,birds and the bees! I sourced out plants on the net that possessed the necessary qualities and went on a plant-hunt! Most interesting, I tell you. Made friends with many nice people who owned nurseries, one kindly older gentleman would take out his gardening/plant books whenever I dropped by, just to give me more info on all my queries! I remember getting very frustrated once when I couldn't find the "moonflower" anywhere eventhough it's a tropical plant! I was planting my fragrant patch then, I already had two varities of jasmine,magnolia,bunga saputangan,egyptian star clusters(butterflies love the white variety!)and a few others, but I desperately wanted the moonflower! Guess where I get it from instead? All the way across the pacific ocean-my sister in the United States gets me a few packets of seeds, which I promptly plant! Quite successfully, I might add and I still get flowers. The fragrance is wonderful wafting through to our family dining room in the evenings. Heaven! I passed on a packet of seeds to Mr Bakun and he said he was also blessed with bountiful flowers which his mom-in-law found so hard to resist that she'd collect them all and fry like you would sayur! No kidding! I told Mr Bakun to please be careful because the seeds are poisonous! Haven't heard anything to the contrary, so I guess she's still frying them flowers for sayur! Haha. OK, time to get back to my plants, spied a couple of pots that need a good dose of TLC!


Here's a pic of the swing I rendezvous on with my apple-pie in the mornings, enjoying the "fruits of my labour" and time with her!

5 comments:

Nour said...

Hiya,

My first time reading your blog,..I like the greeneries you have hanging on your porch. Just the right place for some peace and quiet.

podgykat said...

Hi there nour, thanks for dropping by. Yup, spend a a great deal of my time reading/contemplating out there! Nice to know you!

podgykat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
podgykat said...

Son, enjoyed your poems-they were very very good, though rather deep. Sometimes if we look too deep in the recesses of our soul, we can never find the answers that we seek. The simplest and best things in life are free and all around us if we be more aware-parental love/siblings love and the love of true friends,etc. Revel in this and may you find the answers. The journey of life has never been smooth but if we take the good experiences and lump them all togther, hey, life can be pretty swell! We know the smoking going on out there by the trail left by the butts! Haha. Maybe if your nocturnal habits were put to rest the insomnia will fade away! Love you lots. Mom.

podgykat said...

Hehe, I know lah but this is your momma. Freaks out easy...you know me. Sounds so real, poignant even but I loved all of it especially the Midge dedication-I'll never forget that cat!
How could a stray, work her way into our car,hearts and home like that! Surreal...I'll post an entry on her one day. Meantime, try to cut out the ciggies and the late nights-will make your dad sleep easy..... Love.