Oooh, I'm a happy gal when the taste of Home mag arrives in the mail! The latest copy had me giving it a quick look through to see what I could cook/bake immediately. Yea, I'm that kind of gal too, hehe. This two-tone bread immediately caught my eye; firstly because it looked so pretty with that brown swirl and secondly because it contained molasses. Molasses; because it brought me back to a certain time in my childhood. I must've been about 4-5 years old; I have recollections of my mom feeding us of molasses. It was a tablespoon each as I recall. But I never really inquired as to why she did it; but my guess is it was to make more pleasant our dreaded ritual of taking that gaddawful cod liver oil!! But the label on the back of the bottle it states that, "Molasses is rich in iron, calcium, potassium and other trace minerals. It can also help to increase blood count, warm up our bodies and also reduce menstrual problems." Since my sister and I were no way near having menstrual problems at that age, it just may have been the former that gave rise to my mom's ritual of feeding us those molasses. ;) Hmm, dare I try it on Iman?? Haha, maybe not; it's good enough in bread and cookies I guess.Two-Tone Yeast Bread
3 1/4 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups warm milk
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons shortening
MOLASSES DOUGH
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 package active dry yeast (1/4 ounce)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups warm milk
3 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons shortening
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add warm milk and shortening; beat until smooth. ( I like doing this in the electric mixer; I get enough work-out at the gym! ) :D Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough ( dough will be sticky).
Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place, until doubled, about 1 hour.
For molasses dough, in a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add the warm milk, molasses and shortening; beat until smooth. Stir in enough whole wheat flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
Punch doughs down; divide each dough in half. On a lightly floured surface roll out one portion of each dough into a 12 in x 8 in rectangle. Place the rectangle of molasses on the rectangle of plain dough. Roll up jelly-roll style; starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down in a 8 in x 4 in x 2 in greased loaf pan. Reapeat with remaining dough.
Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375 deg. F (I would say 175 -180 deg C, for us here) for 35-40 minutes or until browned. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
I turned it into banana-filled french toast for Iman a day later.

Banana-filled french toast with a dusting of powdered sugar; just how Iman loves it!






2 comments:
waaa so nice!
Wish you were here to enjoy with us; but you're never far from my thoughts xxx
Post a Comment