Soooooo, come saturday morning, the family awoke to the heavenly smells of dough frying. Coated liberally in a mixture brown sugar and cinnamon - heaven....... I tell you, although Iman would have much preferred tons of powdered sugar on hers!
Here's a whole batch of airy as a cloud biegnets that we downed with mugs of cafe latte!
And here's the recipe - I do mine with instant yeast, so normally I skip the "frothing" part and dump everything in the bread machine till a nice soft dough is formed. After proving in the machine, I remove and cut out square pieces of dough, I usually do a little slit in the centre, so it cooks evenly. You don't have to. Try it and let me know how it turned out!
INGREDIENTS:
1 envelope active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (approx. 105°)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup evaporated milk
7 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup shortening, softened
oil for deep frying
powdered sugar
PREPARATION:
In large bowl, sprinkle yeast over the warm water; stir to dissolve and let stand for 5 minutes. Add sugar, salt, beaten eggs, and evaporated milk. Whisk or use electric mixer to blend thoroughly. Add 4 cups of the flour; beat until smooth.
Add shortening; gradually blend in remaining flour. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 4 hours or overnight. Roll out on floured board to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 2 1/2 to 3-inch squares. Deep fry at 360° for 2 to 3 minutes until lightly browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle generously with powdered sugar. Serve hot with coffee. Dough can cut and frozen, separated in container with waxed paper. Makes 4 to 5 dozen
*I have also skipped the chilling part with no problems whatsoever. And because this makes a helluva lot of beignets; devour as much as you can while still warm, give some away or better still have friends/family over to enjoy it with!






1 comment:
Oooo, those do look yummy! We did go to the famous Cafe Du Monde (at almost midnight and the place was still packed ... it's open 24 hours)and had the famous beignets with chicory coffee (ok I had iced water since I don't drink coffee anymore). A serving of beignets is three monstrous squares with about a ton of powdered sugar. Will download the pictures later today for you.
I got you a cook book from voodoo country.
Post a Comment