Saturday, July 28, 2007

Cravings.......



As I walk along and stumble,
Trains rumble in my head.
As I breathe along and grumble,
I think about you instead.

And a piece of pecan pie
And you, that's all I want.
Just a piece of pecan pie.
And all I want is you.

Sometimes I get so hungry
I think about pie all day.
Just a little whipped cream
And honey, I'm on my way.

And a piece of pecan pie
And you, that's all I want.
Just a piece of pecan pie.
And all I want is you.


-- Jeff Tweedy, "Pecan Pie"





The Best Pecan Pie Yet

1 9 inch deep dish unbaked pie shell

1 1/2 cups pecan halves

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

3 large eggs

1 cup light corn syrup or Karo "brown sugar" corn syrup

3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar

2 tablespoons whipping cream

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/8 teaspoon salt


Preheat oven to 350 F. Place pecans in a large skillet and turn heat to medium high. Cook pecans for 2 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat slightly, add butter to skillet with pecans, and “stir-fry” butter and pecans until butter melts and browns – take care not to burn. This should only take about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.


In medium bowl, stir (do not beat) together eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, cream, vanilla and salt. Stir in melted butter/pecan mixture then pour filling into unbaked crust.


Bake for 45-50 minutes or until top is golden brown and appears set. The pie should still be slightly jiggly in center. Let cool completely at room temperature. Transfer to refrigerator to chill.
This pie also freezes quite well.
*sometimes I wish I had a pecan tree growing in my backyard! The nuts are so pricey-wicey here!!

3 comments:

Bergen said...

At 10.45 am, I haven't had coffee and haven't figured what breakfast is gonna be like. That pie is making me pretty uneasy that I'd better logout fast or I might eat the screen of this computer raw.

You can be pretty mean, can't you? ha ha

Anonymous said...

I had a pecan tree in our backyard in Smithfield and TOP and I spent many an afternoon on the back stoop cracking pecans. Mummy helped crack nuts for our Christmas cookies too. She liked that old house in Smithfield ... she said that it was a "lucky" house.

One of my favourite pies too!

podgykat said...

Bergen dear, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT bite into the your computer screen just yet - give them manufacturers time to come to up with some multi-flavoured screen infused concoction first to make it worth your while! Haha. Thanks for dropping by; hope you had a good breakfast!

TOPM, I remember mom coming back from one of her trips with some nuts from that pecan tree of yours! They just cost a bomb overhere... but no stopping me when the urge hits! Haha.