
Mr Matthew's curry, served for lunch yesterday
I know, I know. In the time that it took me to write this post I could have flown to Kerala (or any state in India for that matter) and back, many times over! It has been non-stop of activities etc on the home-front; just the normal stuff but which has taken up most of my time (like my gym sessions, which I try to stay true to at least for 4 times a week!). So here I am at last, with a nice little simple dish from my childhood... The kind that doesn't have more than five ingredients in it yet tastes so delicious!
Again I attribute this dish to Mr Matthew because my mum learned to prepare this dish from the lady who used to work for him. It's more of a masak lemak kind of dish without the usual ingredients like onions, etc. It has a "cleaner" taste due to the omission of the onions and garlic.
I believe where Mr. Matthew came from they would call it a "white curry." The kind of ubi/tuber that is used in this dish is called the ubi betawi; which is what I normally use too; but on ocassion when I haven't had this particular tuber on hand I've improvised and used potato instead. Sometimes I even throw in some tawkua/tauhu for variation. But I still prefer this dish with the ubi betawi-I love the creamy texture of the yam which you don't get with potato.
Saturday afternoon saw us at the tamu because hubby wanted to have boiled tapioca for breakfast. While at the stall, I saw the lady also sold some ubi betawi ; Mr Matthew's curry would feature on my menu for sunday lunch once again! Along with some fried tenggiri steaks and sambal belacan; simply shiok!
This is what the yam-ubi betawi looks like:
The ingredients for Mr. Matthew's curry/white curry
1. Boil or steam the ubi in their skins till slighty under-cooked. You don't want it it to turn to mush when you cook it in the coconut milk later on.
Saturday afternoon saw us at the tamu because hubby wanted to have boiled tapioca for breakfast. While at the stall, I saw the lady also sold some ubi betawi ; Mr Matthew's curry would feature on my menu for sunday lunch once again! Along with some fried tenggiri steaks and sambal belacan; simply shiok!
This is what the yam-ubi betawi looks like:
The ingredients for Mr. Matthew's curry/white curry3-4 pieces of ubi betawi
500-1000ml of fairly thick coconut milk
2 tablespoons of coriander seeds, washed and roasted then grind finely
some dried chillies, maybe 6-8 pieces or depending on your taste; cleaned and cut into pieces. (I normally don't like it too chilli hot as it spoils the taste of the dish)
2 teaspoons of mustard seeds (biji sawi)
a sprig of curry leaves, optional
salt to taste
1. Boil or steam the ubi in their skins till slighty under-cooked. You don't want it it to turn to mush when you cook it in the coconut milk later on.
2. Remove skin from the ubi and slice into 1/2 inch thick slices.
3. Place coconut milk and the ground coriander in pot and bring to a gentle simmer.
4. Toss in the sliced yam and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, pour two teaspoons of cooking oil in a pan and when hot, fry the curry leaves, mustard seeds and the chillies. Once the mustard seeds start popping and the chillies turn a little crispy toss everything (oil and all) into the simmering pot of ubi.
6. Add salt to taste and turn off flame.
7. Serve hot with rice.

This is another variation with potatoes, beancurd and some cashewnuts.






No comments:
Post a Comment