Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Check Out my Buns :)-The Pumpkin Oatmeal Raisin kind!

Pumpkin & Oatmeal Raisin Buns

These buns evolved from our morning breakfast, literally! I had made too much oatmeal in the morning, so I refrigerated the left-overs and made these buns in the evening, so we could enjoy them for breakfast the next day. I have always loved the texture of bread or buns with oatmeal in them. You get that nice  slightly chewy but soft pull when you bite into it...

I didn't follow a particular recipe for these buns but I  warmed the morning's oatmeal and added some milk to it. Then I dumped the oatmeal mixture into a large mixing bowl, added a couple of tablespoons of raw sugar, vegetable oil, and some salt, mixed everything around for a bit. Threw in an egg, then a packet of yeast. After a couple of minutes, I tossed in some all purpose flour; I started with about 4 cups and worked my way from there until I got a really soft but still sticky dough. I let the machine do the kneading till I was satisfied then I turned the dough into a lightly greased bowl to let it prove till it doubled in size..  

Did the normal routine of punching the dough down, turned it onto a floured surface and gave a little knead, divided into balls and placed onto a baking tray to rise a second time before placing in the oven to bake for 12-15 minutes... Brushed with some melted butter the moment it came out of the oven and of course as usual couldn't resist having one piping hot! Trust me, it was good. 

Had these for coffee with my sis and a cousin while we went through the trials and tribulations on how to make good use of our newly-acquired  "mukabuku." Well all I can say is that we  came away from that bun-eating session very much enlightened!! ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow ...you make it look so easy ..throw this in ...throw that in ...and viola...its ready ...like magic for you ...


Me ..?? Will be attending a bread making class in 2 days time .

another thing ? Need yr help here ...my laksa sarawak does not taste as good as those in Kuching .Would be glad if u could tell me the step by step of it ?

Salam and thanks .

podgykat said...

JDP, Hi Girl!! Sounds so easy, but it took years of practice; mishaps and boo-boos included. But all done in the name of passion so the journey to get there/here has been an enjoyable one! Baking classes?? Good on you, have loads of fun!

Laksa sarawak, now that's a good one because I just had some for breakfast this morning!! I'll give you the tips according to the rules of my mom's household, lah, ok?? You can adjust accordingly to suit your family's tastes... My mom would always ad fresh ingredients to the packet of laksa paste.. Ok, the normal stuff she would grind/blend would be fresh chiilies, shallots, garlic (in controlled proportions ok, so that you don't get that overwhelming "oniony" taste) roasted coriander/ketumbar seeds, some lengkuas and she always added in some dried prawns! Ok, when that's done, boil the laksa paste/the packet & freshly ground ingredients with some water, for a good 1/2 an hour, I'd say then strain. To the strained liquid, add santan and chicken/prawn stock (that you'd boiled your chicken/prawn in for the garnishing). Season to taste with salt etc... (no sugar pls-kills the taste and my mom would kill me if I ever added sugar into her laksa gravy!!) Bring to a gentle simmer, never over boiling or you'd get that separation thing going on and it doesn't taste nice.. Serve with the usual suspects, hehe.

Hope this helps! Take care & have fun at your baking class.. Thanks for your emails; will reply soonest!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Prissy ,

Yahoo!!! A pat on the back for me . Well , the baking class went on fine ...marvelous in fact !You are right ! I had fun !!


Thanks for the tips for the laksa . Will try it soon . I will make a report ( for u ) on the progress as well !!Hehe !!

Bless You , my friend !!