
These downright-irresistibly-yummy-looking cupcakes are a contribution from my sister's kitchen all the way from Virginia, USA. I remember all the times we spent experimenting in my grandma's kitchen all those years ago. We'd be whipping up cakes and desserts from recipes we found in the British Woman's Own magazine that our Uncle Tim & family (my mom's brother) forwarded to us on a regular basis. And most of the time we'd have to improvise with the ingredients; but with all these shortcomings we somehow managed to churn out some pretty good stuff. I guess having a grandma and mom who were good bakers themselves helped. When our baking skills were refined enough; meaning we had the adults' seal of approval we were given the honour of baking and decorating the birthday cakes of almost everyone in the household. My elder sis played master chef to my role of assistant and she used to decorate the cakes beautifully. She still does to this day. If my memory serves correct, my sister even made my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary cake!
Here's my sister's recipe for the wonderful-looking cupcakes above; am sure going to try it out over the weekend if possible. But first got to do the inevitable; that few extra rounds of the jogging/walking track! It really is "one minute on the lips; a lifetime on the hips" kind of scenario for me and the body nowadays!! *big sigh*
Peanut Butter Truffle Cupcakes
Truffle filling:
6 squares (1 oz each) white baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 Tablespoons baking cocoa
1. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt white chocolate; stirring often, until melted and smooth. Sir in peanut butter
2. Cover and refrigerate for about 15 - 20 minutes, or until firm enough to form into balls. Check on this often, because you do not want the mixture to harden too much.
3. Form into twelve 1-inch balls, roll in cocoa powder and set aside.
Batter:
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled
1. In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar.
2. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Beat in vanilla.
4. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and coffee.
5. Fill paper-lined muffin pans two-thirds full. Top each with a truffle (do not press down).
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake portion comes out clean.
7. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Frosting:
3 squares (1 oz each) semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup heavy cream
3 Tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1. In a heavy saucepan over very low heat, melt chocolate with cream, stirring constantly.
2. Remove from heat; stir in peanut butter.
3. Transfer to a bowl; chill in refrigerator until mixture reaches spreading consistency. Check on this often because you do not want this to get too hard that you cannot spread it. It should still be shiny and soft.
4. Frost cupcakes.
* The recipe says to store in the refrigerator and I would recommend this for warm climates. I did not because we keep the house at a constant 68 degrees.






3 comments:
This is a recipe that will satisfy your chocolate cravings and is not very sweet. I will definitely make these cupcakes again.
Today I start baking my Christmas cookies -- made two different doughs last night and will start baking today. I have to get everything done by Friday so I can mail my father-in-law his huge tin of cookies. He waits all year long for them and guards them from preying hands.
Mum will be close throughout this baking season ... my cookie cookbook has Mum's little checks by recipes she wanted me to copy for her. Our dear mother made them in ink so I will never be able to erase them ... not that I ever minded. I used to smile every year when I saw them and I always remembered how she'd spend hours looking through all my cookbooks (and they are many -- I cannot walk by a cookbook in a bookstore without looking -- what is wrong with us?)
Recipes and pictures will be coming your way soon.
Off to do my exercise before breakfast :-)
Hehe, I bet it will satisfy all our choc cravings - this is a chocoholic family we've got here!!
It is always so satisfying to bake cookies, etc for people who appreciate them; your FIL is one great guy.Do you still make the fudge for yr in laws too?
Yes, mom would come back with all those recipes that she had copied from you/yr books or the ones that she had tried and liked! I just made the pineapple parfait pie from a recipe that she said your MIL had made when she was there. Mum made that for us over the fasting month when she was with us and we loved it. I think Joyce has mum's handwritten version; will tell her to hold on to it.
I miss mum so! Every time I cook something I know she liked, I get the funny feeling that she's right at my shoulder, looking on approvingly! Too strong a feeling to be my imagination.... We'll always carry mum with us..in our hearts, like you say.
Yes, the first stop at the bookstore will always be the cookery book section for me!! Hehe.
Waiting for your recipes & pics. Little missy wants me to bake some xmas cookies pronto but I told her we'll do that when we come back from our little trip which we'll be taking tomorrow! Off we go to the beach and the haunts of our childhood! Will take pics and update on this blog! :)
Yes, the first batch of fudge is made. I will probably make three more batches before Christmas -- I don't know how these people eat so much of the stuff.
Made three different cookies today and just put a batch of gingerbread cookie dough in the fridge tonight. I think these are going to be very gingery because blackstrap molasses was all I had on hand ... will have to put more icing on these.
The Pineapple Parfait pie comes out only twice a year -- at Thanksgiving and Christmas -- it is very refreshing. Maybe I'll make it for Christmas this year too. Cookies and fudge will go out to the in-laws at the end of the week.
Have fun at the beach ... maybe someday I will go back there ... not just yet.
Post a Comment